And the September challenge is FISH...

Joined Jan 8, 2010
I know it's been done before, but it's been quite a while and I feel I should eat more fish.
And I am looking for a foolproof beer battered fish recipe :cool:

So, anything goes: fresh water fish, salt water, fried, baked, canned, smoked, bottled (?), frozen, fresh, fried, deep-fried, gluten free, pickled, smoked, tinned, steamed, boiled, grilled, fillet, whole fish, mashed, soup, stew etc etc

For this challenge, let's just limit it to fish. Sea food can be a challege on it's own at a later stage.

Be creative, have fun:)

Joined Apr 25, 2014
heehee I guess it is time to get back out there! The only trout sold around here is sad mealy farmed rainbows. Not for me.

There are atlantic salmon out on the big river but I'm not allowed to keep those on this section. Found some nice deep pools and waterfalls with lots of action but brook trout I caught were all 7-9 inches, too small to cook.

20180825_070915_HDR.jpg
20180826_084623.jpg
20180826_083238.jpg
20180826_091148.jpg
20180826_090307.jpg

Last edited:
Joined Jan 8, 2010
We are off to a good start!!!!

I forgot to post the rules. Here they are.
I took the liberty to copy and paste them from millionsknives millionsknives challenge

The usual rules apply:
- The challenge begins on the 1st of every month and the last entry must be made by the last day of the month.
- You may post multiple entries.
- All entries must be cooked during the month of the challenge.
- If you use a documented recipe, please cite your source.
- Entries should include the name of your dish and a picture of the final product. Sharing personal recipes and pictures of the process are not mandatory but extremely helpful.
- The winner is chosen by the person who posted the challenge, and is announced after the last day of submissions. The decision is final and falls entirely at the discretion of the challenger.
- Submitting an entry makes you eligible to win. If you do not wish to be considered for the win you may still participate in the challenge, but make your wishes known to the challenger.

The winner’s bounty includes praise, virtual high-fives, and the responsibility of posting the next month’s challenge. That entails choosing a theme, posting a Challenge thread that includes the guidelines, checking in on the submissions regularly during the month, and promptly choosing a winner at the end of the challenge.

Joined Apr 11, 2018
Dang, I wish this was Nov's challenge; got a trip for then planned where I'm gonna be jerkin' some fresh out of the water and cooking them over a campfire...

Joined Feb 24, 2015
Ah, challenge time :)
Will be heading to Europe for a few weeks, so fish should not be that difficult to find ;)

Joined May 5, 2010
Hey Butzy, congrats on winning August challenge.
Please explain what you mean as fool-proof for a beer batter.
Your experiences, might shed some light on the issues you have

Joined Sep 5, 2012
Ah, challenge time :)
Will be heading to Europe for a few weeks, so fish should not be that difficult to find ;)

Where abouts you heading? Almost time for saltwater crayfish here as well as other crusty critters. The water is starting to cool down here now so hopefully the varity of fresh msa certified fish will increase and the damn worms will leave the cod alone.

Joined Feb 24, 2015
Where abouts you heading? Almost time for saltwater crayfish here as well as other crusty critters. The water is starting to cool down here now so hopefully the varity of fresh msa certified fish will increase and the damn worms will leave the cod alone.
Heading down to Austria for a few weeks - I know they have a lot of lake fish - so will be experimenting on those haha

Crayfish - sweet sweet sweet :)

Joined Jan 8, 2010
Please explain what you mean as fool-proof for a beer batter.

Frankly, I don't like battered anything. But I seem to be a minority.
Just looking for an easy foolproof recipe that anyone could make right. It might be a seperate query at some point in time with much more explanation. For this challenge, I wouldn't mind seeing some nice battered fish coming past (and grilled and and and)

Joined May 28, 2015
Is eel considered a fish???
If its not a fish, what could it be? In the UK there is a tradition (sadly dying out) of jellied eels with pie, mash potato and liquor (made from parsley and eel stock) - working class fare. In London there are still a few remaining 'Pie and Mash Shops' left. This is M. Manze:

Screen Shot 2018-09-04 at 22.46.53.png

Joined Nov 5, 2007
I know it's been done before, but it's been quite a while and I feel I should eat more fish.
And I am looking for a foolproof beer battered fish recipe :cool:

One simple one I've heard is equal volumes of beer and flour. Maybe I'll give it a go for this challenge.

mjb.

Joined Jan 8, 2010
I made a very lazy fish curry the other day.
Just fried some patak madras curry paste, added some tomato, nile perch fillet and yoghurt.
Cooked till the fish started flaking, et voila!
It was one of those very tasty very quick meals :)
(it didn't photograph very well though)

Top Bottom