Chef Forum banner

Ancient Grains

783 views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  kronin323 
#1 ·
Frustration abounds. I decided I wanted to experiment with some ancient grains, sorghum, teff, quinoa, and others. While the internet is literally overflowing with recipes for these grains the one thing is 99% of them are vegetarian/vegan. I am not a vegetarianor vegan (all discussions od how bad meat is aside) I just want to incorporate these beneficial grains into my diet. I was thinking of adding teff to a meatloaf like you would breadcrumbs or oatmeal. Would i need to cook it first? Add more liquid? How much would I add. The net is virtually devoid of using ancient grains in traditional meat recipes. Any help would be gladly accepted. Please leave out the vegan/vegetarian recipes there are plenty of thoae out there and not what I am aiming for.
Thanks

#2 ·
Hi Cowboy!

For your meatloaf example, cook your grain using approx.90% of the liquid. Make your normal meatloaf and the juices should finish the cooking process of your grain.

Another concept is to just cook grains in a flavored broth just to have a fully cooked leftover grain. Tailor your liquid to add flavors that compliment or contrast the finished product you have in mind. Your cooked grain needs to taste good on its own. Seasoning awareness, eh...

One of my favorites uses precooked grains made into patties with onion, garlic, herbs, and mushrooms and bound with a tiny bit of egg if needed. Pack into shape cutters and pan fry. Works well with grilled meats.

Good luck!

#3 ·
Find recipes that include rice and substitute these grains for the rice. You may have to tweak / season-to-taste the recipe to accommodate the ingredient change.

But that's the way I've typically run into their use, a variation of a more traditional recipe that substitutes some of these alternative grains for rice. Like a quinoa pilaf, for example.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.