Anchovy paste

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by koukouvagia, Aug 23, 2015.

1. koukouvagia

koukouvagia

Exp:
    Home Cook
    How long does it keep in the fridge after opening?

2. mike9

mike9

Exp:
    Former Chef
    Quite a while, but I use it in a lot of things so a tube usually lasts 4-6 weeks.

3. kingnothing

kingnothing

Exp:
    At home cook
    Whats a good brand you guys recommend? I normally grind them in a mortar and pestle

Last edited: Aug 29, 2015
  4. meezenplaz

meezenplaz

Exp:
    Sous Chef, Event Manager
    Well for starters it depends what you're planning to do with the stuff. 

Sure I prefer smooshing up my own fresh as well, but  I think you'll 

find that a tube of paste keeps as long as you'll need it to, provided it's kept 

refrigerated after opening. I don't have a personal brand preference. 

5. phatch

phatch Moderator Staff Member

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    I don't use it fast enough to justify a tin of them, though I do have a tin in my pantry for when I do.. So i use the tube paste mostly. Amore is the brand I can find most readily. I don't have any complaints. I use their tube tomato paste too.

6. koukouvagia

koukouvagia

Exp:
    Home Cook
    I use the Amore brand tomato paste and they also have anchovy paste.  I've never bought it.  I always open up a fresh can of anchovies each time I need anchovy paste but I don't use all of it, and then I store it away but throw it out.  Does the anchovy paste keep well because of how much salt is in it?

7. phatch

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    The packaging helps too. Only the bit at opening is exposed to air and such. Minimal oxidation and contamination. I'll often discard the 1/4 inch or so in the tip because it dried a bit or discolored. How long it keeps? I've never had it go bad so i don't know; 8 weeks at least i think.

8. meezenplaz

meezenplaz

Exp:
    Sous Chef, Event Manager
    Unofficially I would quietly say it lasts longer than that even. I was making....something....Ceasar maybe?...

grabbed up a half full tube of Anch Paste squeezed it out, looked and smelled fine, used a couple teaspoons

of it....then later got to thinking....wait--when did I BUY that? I never did figure it out but it was longer than

8 weeks I know that. It's like Phatch said, it can't get air much so it stays almost vac-sealed.

Makes ya wonder...if we left our toothpaste out in an open container,  would it spoil? /img/vbsmilies/smilies/confused.gif  

9. chefbuba

chefbuba

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    I have a tube in the fridge now that's over two months old. I'll make a Caesar tonight, if you don't hear back from me you will know what happened./img/vbsmilies/smilies/biggrin.gif

10. phatch

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    My local grocer had the Reese brand anchovy paste on my  last visit. I've not used that one. Any opinions on it?

I noticed they also had a Cento brand tomato past in a tube to compete with the Amore. The Cento was cheaper. I picked one up to see if I can tell a difference. It would be hard to differentiate I think with how tomato paste is commonly used. 

11. mike9

mike9

Exp:
    Former Chef
    I've tried several brands and it's pretty much all the same I mean a processed anchovy is a processed anchovy.  Back home in Greektown we got whole anchovies packed in layers of salt - now that's an anchovy.  

It's cheaper for me to buy tomato paste in the can and I usually use half and save half in a ziploc and keep it in the fridge.  Good for up to two weeks that way if you get all the air out of the bag.  It's funny to pull a "lid" of tomato paste out of the ice box.  

12. koukouvagia

koukouvagia

Exp:
    Home Cook

13. mike9

mike9

Exp:
    Former Chef
    Yup - those are the real deal.  /img/vbsmilies/smilies/licklips.gif   

Last edited: Aug 31, 2015
  14. koukouvagia

koukouvagia

Exp:
    Home Cook
    Are you saying I should use those for when I want to make a caesar?  Cause they sell them right around the block from me at the greek market.

15. mike9

mike9

Exp:
    Former Chef
    I never used them for a Caesar they don't emulsify like canned, or paste does.  We used to just rinse and eat with warm bread and butter, maybe some cheese, olives  and of course Retsina. 

Last edited: Sep 1, 2015
  16. chicagoterry

chicagoterry

Exp:
    Home Cook
    I may be courting botulism, but I always buy tins of anchovy fillets and what I don't eat, I put in a jar and cover with olive oil and keep it in the fridge. Sometimes for a very long time.

17. koukouvagia

koukouvagia

Exp:
    Home Cook
    You do like to live dangerously.

18. cerise

cerise Banned

Exp:
    Other
    Personally, I don't care for canned or tubed.  If you are not utilizing an ingredient often enough, dump it and buy fresh. There are many applications for same ingredient.

There should be an expiration date on same.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2015
  19. koukouvagia

koukouvagia

Exp:
    Home Cook
    Sorry, I don't know what you mean.

20. phatch

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    In the US, federal law requires an expiration date on all packaged food products.  It can't be more than two years out. This applies even in cases where things don't go bad per se. Dried pasta for example. 

Exactly what the dates mean is a little vague anyway. Best by, Sell by, Use by, don't mean the food automatically turns bad on that date. 

And fresh anchovies, even if readily available, aren't the same for using as the processed ones. Recipes are built around the processed ones, even in Italy. I've never seen them in the salt stack as shown above. 

I'll admit another tube product I use. Lemongrass. I've never figured out minced lemon grass. It always comes out like fingernails in the finished dish. I'll bruise it up and steep it or use the tube, but I've given up trying to peel it and mince it.