Anchovies

Joined Nov 5, 2000
Anchovies, love them, hate them....just curious to opinions. I really like them...but in the local grocery stores we only have the canned or anchovy paste.

Does anyone have some favorites and favorite uses? I read somewhere about anchovies packed in oil...are these in a jar..just at specialty shops? Just curious as usual.

Thanks,

Joined Jan 12, 2001
anchovies....

it's a good thing i like them cause i've been cleaning them on a daily basis lately.

i used to hate anchovies until i lived in barcelona and ate what they call boquerones, which are white and packed in oil with some herbs. they are sweet and fresh-tasting and not at all salty, more vinegary and tart. delicious. when i returned to the U.S. we were getting these same things marketed as "white anchovies." i don't remember the brand name, but they were awesome and came in a big plastic tub packed in oil.

now i'm working in italy and we get what they call alice (pronouced ah-leech-ay) which comes in fresh and we use it in pasta, deep-fry it, or use it for a bruschetta. for the bruschetta we "cook" (without heat) the alice in white vinegar for about 4 hours until they're cooked through, then keep them under oil with herbs. after tasting them, i'm sure they're the same as in barcelona, but we're just making our own.

but it gets more confusing. we also use the basic black canned anchovies (although they come in a jar here), which are called acciughe (ah-chee-ooh-gay). when i asked my chef if these were made from the same fish as the alice, he said no, like laughing at me, and telling me it would be like comparing a dog to a horse.

whatever the case....the white anchovies are worlds away from the dark ones that we usually see in a can, or on a pizza, and you should seek them out! they are fabulous just to eat straight out of the container with some bread. i know you can get them in the u.s....but it just might be a little work. but worth it.

[ February 25, 2001: Message edited by: elakin ]

Joined Nov 5, 2000
Gig Harbor huh? Right in my own backyard. I'm constantly amazed at all the info you have crudeau..<S>....! You are much appreciated.

Thanks,

Joined Nov 5, 2000
Crudeau, ended up getting what I wanted and for free no less, bought a jar of Anchovies in Olive Oil by Martel. The packaging said they are not overly salted and have a subdued aroma. I belong to igourmet's cheese of the month club--and Feb's cheese ended up in a boat from Spain that was held up due to stormy weather over the Atlantic. So they sent everyone a gift certificate! I love free stuff

:)

Joined Oct 12, 1999
Can you give some info about the "Cheese of the Month" Club, SeattleDeb? I'd like to know about it! Thanks in advance and more than likely afterwards!

Joined Nov 5, 2000
Hi there..

I got "the cheese of the month club" for hubby this last Christmas...from igourmet.
http://www.igourmet.com/st_feature_cheese.asp

The cheeses so far have been all new to us, wish I had kept a list of what we tried but they've all been interesting. This last one was a Spanish cheese - Malagon with Rosemary. We've had one infused with scotch, one with dried apricots, stinky ones (not in stinky as in bad...but just stinky --hope that makes sense), hmm an italian cheese (mind gone on what exactly it was--still a little freaky from earthquake!). They come with a little ice pak via US Mail, once a month with some really good information about the cheese tucked in with the product, and food and wine pairing suggestions.

Kind of more fun than a tie for him!

Just remembered some were an extra purchase and not the cheese of the month from above...I had ordered the British Trio which was Wensleydale with Apricots, White Stilton with Lemon, and Mature Cheddar with Pickled Onions and Chives. I'm on the site now and I think the Italian one was Brillo Pecorino DiVino.

[ February 28, 2001: Message edited by: SeattleDeb ]

Joined Nov 5, 2000
Funny, "rotten cheese" from Sardinia is March's cheese of the month! <kidding of course>....

Joined Oct 12, 1999
Thanks for the info SeatteDeb! I like cheese, all different kinds. But I guess I'll pass up the March "Cheese of The Month" and maybe start in April!

Joined Nov 5, 2000
Layjo, if you do sign up you might want to try the reference code RE66 and see if it works...they sent me a renewal offer for a free extra month and to use that code...I'm not sure if the code will work for a new order but I always try these things (discount codes/reference codes) while online shopping just to save a few $$!

:p

Latest posts

Top Bottom