Anchovies - general questions

Joined Mar 25, 2014
I purchased Agostino Recca in a jar.  These are considered cured with salt, is that correct?  If so, does cured mean they are no longer raw?

Using a double boiler, I did a saute of one anchovy with some olive oil, butter, and minced onions.  It was the first time I had tasted anchovies and found it to have a bite at the end that I didn't care for.  

Do all anchovies have that bite?  Or do the more expensive brands and/or salt pack anchovies have a milder finish?  

Joined Mar 25, 2014
One other question - for the filets I don't use, can they be frozen for future use or will that disrupt the quality?

Joined Jul 13, 2012
Right they are no longer raw.  The "bite" might be the brine it's definitely not the fillet itself.  I do't know how big a jar you bought, but you can top it off with oil and they will last a while in the fridge.  They would probably deteriorate in the freezer.  Hell I'll eat them on good baguette with good butter any day - they don't last long around my house.

pete

Staff member
Joined Oct 7, 2001

I know you didn't ask, but they are great on pizza /img/vbsmilies/smilies/smile.gif
That's actually, probably my least favorite way of eating them.  I like them in salads, on "antipasto" platters and right out of the can or jar.  Mostly I prefer them cold or room temperature.  There are a few warm applications that I like them in, but mostly in uncooked applications.  They can also be a great flavor enhancer like fish sauce in Thai and Vietnamese cuisine.  Just a little, minced into a fine paste and stirred into whatever you are cooking.  It dissolves completely and you can't taste it but it adds a depth of flavor (umami) that can round out a dish.

Last edited:
Top Bottom