Anchovies - general questions

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by kjbnyc, Mar 17, 2017.

1. kjbnyc

kjbnyc

Exp:
    Home Cook
    I purchased Agostino Recca in a jar.  These are considered cured with salt, is that correct?  If so, does cured mean they are no longer raw?

Using a double boiler, I did a saute of one anchovy with some olive oil, butter, and minced onions.  It was the first time I had tasted anchovies and found it to have a bite at the end that I didn't care for.  

Do all anchovies have that bite?  Or do the more expensive brands and/or salt pack anchovies have a milder finish?  

2. kjbnyc

kjbnyc

Exp:
    Home Cook
    One other question - for the filets I don't use, can they be frozen for future use or will that disrupt the quality?

3. mike9

mike9

Exp:
    Former Chef
    Right they are no longer raw.  The "bite" might be the brine it's definitely not the fillet itself.  I do't know how big a jar you bought, but you can top it off with oil and they will last a while in the fridge.  They would probably deteriorate in the freezer.  Hell I'll eat them on good baguette with good butter any day - they don't last long around my house.

4. butzy

butzy

Exp:
    Owner/Operator
    I know you didn't ask, but they are great on pizza /img/vbsmilies/smilies/smile.gif

kokopuffs likes this.
  5. pete

pete Moderator Staff Member

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    That's actually, probably my least favorite way of eating them.  I like them in salads, on "antipasto" platters and right out of the can or jar.  Mostly I prefer them cold or room temperature.  There are a few warm applications that I like them in, but mostly in uncooked applications.  They can also be a great flavor enhancer like fish sauce in Thai and Vietnamese cuisine.  Just a little, minced into a fine paste and stirred into whatever you are cooking.  It dissolves completely and you can't taste it but it adds a depth of flavor (umami) that can round out a dish.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2017
    danslice likes this.
  6. kokopuffs

kokopuffs

Exp:
    Home Cook