An Apple Pie Question...

Discussion in 'Pastries & Baking' started by white_gryphon18, Jan 8, 2003.

1. white_gryphon18

white_gryphon18

Alright, I was baking apple pies, most were made out of only red apples, but a few had a combination of both red and green. One of the pies I made with green apples in it, the green apples became all squishy and sort of melted(!?) :confused:, but the red ones were fine. I made others, and they were alright, but I couldn't figure out what I could of done different. Any ideas of what happend??
    ~*Katy*~
    :bounce:

2. lotuscakestudio

lotuscakestudio

Exp:
    Professional Pastry Chef
    It depends on what varities of apples you were using...? Not are all meant to be baked and will turn mushy.

3. jock

jock

Exp:
    At home cook
    Granny Smiths, Golden Deliscious or Gravensteins are my favourites for pie. alone or a combination. You have to adjust the sugar each time because the apples have different levels of sweetness.

Jock

4. w.debord

w.debord

There's alot of room for errors using fresh fruit because their outward skin doesn't tell you always what the meat of the fruit is like. You really have to taste your fruit and adjust your sugar and thickening agent accordingly.

This past winter I couldn't buy a decent granny smith from anyone anywhere. Oh they looked fine on the outside, but they had NO taste, moisture or sweetness or texture. When I baked them they went from being firm to apple sauce and you couldn't stop them in between....and they tased bland and dry no matter how I tried to jazz them up, they stuck.

So first, taste your fruit. If you wouldn't eat it raw, forget it and do something else.

5. white_gryphon18

white_gryphon18

I used red and green Rainer apples, and they taste wonderful when you eat them raw. The reds stayed solid and the green turned into apple sauce. Thanks for all your replies!!
    ~*Katy*~ :bounce:

6. angrychef

angrychef

I've never encountered a granny smith apple that went to mush when baked. Is it possible they mislabeled the type of apple? Very strange.

P.S. Hey Wendy, how's it going at the club? Happy New Year.

7. w.debord

w.debord

Oh boy, I just wrote you a long message and lost it!

Quick...I'm flying to Seattle this morning...we're driving to Canada, Whistler/Blackcomb to ski for the next week.

I left the Club this week. Chef hired me for full time, worked me part time (now down to 18 hr.s or less aweek). Chef buys in pastries and tells me to make jello! Owners have been silent.

BUT I've been moonlighting working with a local NEW (6 months)bakery owned by Cindy (who reads here but doesn't post YET). She's attended the pastry Demo's with me. We're talking partnership. She's overwhelmed with all the work involved and well I've always wanted to have a partner and be at my own bakery! So were giving things a trial run for several months to see how we work together, etc....

This is my dream....so I really hope we can make things work!!!
    I'm ready for a bigger challenge and am really excited to have the chance I've always dreamed of.

Got to run. Take care. I'll be back!

8. vloglady

vloglady

Was it green because it was unripe or green because of the variety? Granny smiths are my favorite.

9. white_gryphon18

white_gryphon18

I don't think the apples were unripe, they taste delicious all by themselves! Well, its strange, thanks for all your help!
    ~*Katy*~ :bounce: