American Wagyu (Kobe style beef) anyone?

kuan

Staff member
Joined Jun 11, 2001
Has anyone tried American Kobe style beef yet? I have the opportunity to try some samples, but I'm curious about what others have to say about it.

Kuan

Joined May 26, 2001
I tasted it as hamburger at the NY Restaurant Show a couple of weeks ago. It was quite tasty, and juicy even though cooked to well-done. Came from Snake River Farms. They say they use only whole muscle chuck and sirloin -- so it wasn't really all that surprising that it was good. But it was still just hamburger.

kuan

Staff member
Joined Jun 11, 2001
So well done and juicy? I wonder what the fat content is in their hamburgers. Was there any fat left in the beef or was it grainy with holes in it? I'm curious to try the filet mignon! :)

Kuan

Joined May 26, 2001
No visible fat. Just brown ground meat. But yummy. I don't think I'd spend the $41 at Old Homestead, though. :eek:

Joined Dec 1, 2002
I have investigated this online before, when I first heard that the cattle was being raised in the US. There is lots of info just doing a google search for kobe beef. The pictures are AWSOME! I would like to try the ribeye steaks first. The amount of marbling is incredible. Try the samples and post about it I am really curious. I want to order some for my family at Christmas. The site I found most actrative was a farm in Texas. The mans stock comes the largest herd in Japan. If I can find it again I will post the link.

Joined Sep 29, 2002
I was at a store here in Houston and I saw American Kobe Filets for 29.99....thats really cheap huh?

Joined Dec 1, 2002
If that is per pound it is cheap based on the prices I have seen on the web. The filets this picture is of are 8oz each, $120 for four. Or about $60 per pound.

hmmmm. I tried to attach a file, but I don't think it worked????:p

Top Bottom