Ambassador

Discussion in 'Recipes' started by dorothy81, Mar 13, 2006.

1. dorothy81

dorothy81

Exp:
    At home cook
    Here you are one of my favourite recipes. I have it for 10 years or even more and it taste better each time I prepare it :)

Ambassador cake:

Ingredients:
    1 bisquit bottom
    1/2 litre of milk
    5 table spoons of potato flour
    1 1/2 cup of sugar
    2 tea spoons of vanilla sugar
    4 egg yolks
    2 cups of spirit
    1 cup of butter
    1 cup of margarine
    1 table spoon of cocoa
    1 tin of pineapple (about 20 ounces)
    sweetmeats (sugared/candied fruit)

Directions:
    Bring milk with sugar, vanilla sugar and potato flour to boil (as pudding). Add 4 egg yolks to hot pudding, blend it together and wait until it get cold.
    Blend butter and margarine, slowly add cold pudding. Then add 2 cups of spirit.
    Divide cream into two parts. Add sliced pineapple to first part, add cocoa and sweetmeats to other part.
    Lay out the dark part of cream, then light part of cream on bisquit. Rub a chocolade on it.

Enjoy It.

2. mezzaluna

mezzaluna

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    Dorothy, I need a bit of clarification of your measures for those of us who live in the U.S. It sounds like an easy and delicious dessert.

"Glass"- is that 6 ounces? That was my experience when cooking in a home in France.
    "Cup"- is that a teacup or 8 ounces?
    "package of vanilla sugar"- we don't have that in the U.S. Do you have another measure to convert it to?
    How much pineapple is in the tin you are using?
    "Spoon"- is that a soup spoon? It's approximately one Tablespoon in our measures, I think.
    "Sweetmeats"- is that sugared/candied fruit?

Here are some site for conversions: http://www.onlineconversion.com/cooking_volume.htm
    http://homecooking.about.com/library...oldconvert.htm
    http://chocolateandzucchini.com/arch...quivalents.php

3. cakerookie

cakerookie

Exp:
    Line Cook
    Vanilla sugar can be made with a few vanilla beans added to granulated sugar for a day or two. As if by magic, vanilla sugar!

4. mezzaluna

mezzaluna

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    Yes, but what is the amount of a "package"?

I have several cookbooks written in French. When I first visited my friend there I knew she loved to cook, so I brought an All-American type cookbook as well as a set of measuring cups and spoons. We spent some time in her kitchen comparing measures. That's how I learned, for instance, that "une verre d'eau" is comparable to 6 ounces of water- I poured a glass-worth into the 8-ounce measuring cup. That's just one example. I'm sure Dorothy's measures are well-known in Poland, and I'm sure we can discover the American equivalents if Dorothy can tell us the metric equivalents or some other numerical measure.

"A pint's a pound the world around", and I'm sure we'll figure these out too. :)

5. dorothy81

dorothy81

Exp:
    At home cook
    Glass = Cup = about 8 ounces.
    Package of vanilla sugar = 2 tea spoons.
    Spoons = table spoons.
    "Sweetmeats" YES - is that sugared/candied fruit.
    Tin of pineapples is about 20 ounces.

Sorry for this - I live in Poland so I use that measures. But thanks for your questions - it helps me to change my recipes to be more useful to you :)

I have change my recipe in first post according your questions too.

If you have another questions about measures - I will answer :)

6. mezzaluna

mezzaluna

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    Dorothy, that you so much! Having cooked from French cookbooks, I know that it's well worth becoming familiar with measures that are used in other cultures and countries. That way we have no barriers to enjoying each other's food. :lips: