Amature home chef asking advise on the Otto Wilde Grill.

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by MikeNSX, Nov 19, 2017.

1. MikeNSX

MikeNSX

Exp:
    Amature
    I'm Mike, and I try to do my best and learn to cook well at home as well as going out when I'm too lazy or want a meal that I'm not capable of making. Lets talk STEAK! I love steak and am always trying to find the best way to make it. Here are some of the ways I use now.

1. In the cast iron frying pan. I have a Blue Star range with 22K burners, not as hot as a commercial stove but hotter than most home ranges. I heat the pan to smoking hot and sear the steak about 2 minutes per side, then put the whole thing in a 500 degree oven for 6 minutes. A 2 inch fillet mignon comes out medium-rare. This method works great for lean cuts like tenderloin and sirloin, but no well for fatty cuts like Delmonico.

2. Outdoor grill. Delmonicos tend to catch fire and I have to move them around to a new place so that they don't burn up. I have a Weber gas grill. I also had a Solaire infra-red grill. It didn't last long as the fat of the steak falls directly on the ceramic burner.

This brings me to my question... ta da! I've seen an infrared grill called the Otto Wilde grill. What it really seems to be is a salamander. It broils from the top. The sales hype says that this is how the finest steak houses make their steaks. So, I ask you, the professionals.. so you cook steak in a salamander? I ask because my oven has an overhead infrared broiler and I tried making steak that way once and didn't like the outcome.

Thank you very much for your help.
    MikeC

2. pete

pete Moderator Staff Member

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    I don't know anything about the Otto Wilde grill, but in regards to how steakhouses often cook their steaks, yes they often use a broiler, with the heat coming from above the steak as opposed to below. They are not salamanders. Salamanders do not achieve nearly the heat that professional "broilers" do. Your home oven that has a broiler is more like a salamander. It can brown things and it can cook some things, but you can't achieve a great sear with these pieces of equipment, just not nearly enough BTUs.

3. iceman

iceman

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Many steakhouses have infrared units in their broilers. They can get 4-digit heating/cooking that way. Therein is how they can give you "steakhouse char-crust" or whatever it's called, on your steak. There is a way that I've posted before on how to fake that on an outside grill.

millionsknives likes this.
  4. Pat Pat

Pat Pat

Exp:
    Chef Emeritus
    You can cook steaks in the salamander but I don't. I find it too messy. I use salamander only for quick finishing.

5. MikeNSX

MikeNSX

Exp:
    Amature
    Thanks for all the replies. You've given me some ideas. No, I won't buy this otto grill. And I'm going to try a different method to cook steak. pre-cook... sous vide. Then finish in my pan or broiler. Thanks again!

6. Pat Pat

Pat Pat

Exp:
    Chef Emeritus
    Funny you should mention that, because that's what the Otto grill does best: finishing a sous vide steak.

This is exactly what I mean when I said I use the salamander for quick finishing only.

7. MikeNSX

MikeNSX

Exp:
    Amature
    Speaking of sous vide... I'm just finding out about this.. but.. isn't this like boiling the steak even though it's in a bag? I'd think the steak would still be plenty moist.

I'm going to try putting it in a cool oven about 180 until internal temp reads 125 (med-rare for me). Then finish it either in a hot cast iron pan, or infrared broiler. I'd think that the oven would remove moisture from the steak and it would sear and crust better. What do you think?

8. Pat Pat

Pat Pat

Exp:
    Chef Emeritus
    Yes, steaks do end up getting a better crust when using the oven to cook them low and slow compared to cooking them sous vide. But sous vide is more convenient.

And yes, sous vide is kinda like boiling (more like poaching, actually). I always use the term poaching to describe the food cooked sous vide to non-foodie people.

9. maryb

maryb

Exp:
    Semi pro/retired now
    My oven broiler does okay as long as the food is arranged in a line under the burner(I have a top mount broiler). I also boost the pan height with a cookie sheet under it so the food is closer to the heat.