?? Aluminum VS Cast Iron

Joined Aug 10, 2013
Wanted to buy a Dutch oven, I have a cast iron Lodge. But it is quite heavy , is the aluminum much different in terms of results?

Joined Oct 10, 2005
Cast aluminum is o.k., but if it’s sheet aluminum with no “sandwich bottom” it’ll warp faster than the U.S.S.Enterprise...

phatch

Staff member
Joined Mar 29, 2002
For charcoal use, the aluminum legs can melt if you place charcoal poorly. the cast iron has higher thermal mass but can't take the thermal shock aluminum can. Many camp cooks use the the aluminum for cheesecake and things they want to chill quickly after cooking.

Joined Mar 1, 2017
Aluminum will have faster reactions to changes in heat. Cast iron will take longer to reach temperature but, will hold that temperature far longer and works better at high temperatures. Both cast iron and aluminum are reactive as well, so they are even on that score.

Its all about what the pots are used for and the context in which they are being used. Cast iron will do better with some foods and aluminum will do better with others. It all depends.

In general, I would tend to favor the cast iron over the aluminum for recipes that call for a Dutch oven. I am sure there are other pros that would prefer the aluminum for various reasons.

However, if you give some details about how you plan to use pot along with the foods going in it, we will be in a better position to give more detailed advice.

Cheers! :)

Joined Aug 10, 2013
I use the Dutch oven only on, stove top, Induction top, and in the oven.
I like using it for slow braises , Short Ribs , veal shanks , and Ragu .

phatch

Staff member
Joined Mar 29, 2002
Id go stainless over enamel ware for those purposes. Less fussy about use and care.

Joined Dec 18, 2010
Id go stainless over enamel ware for those purposes. Less fussy about use and care.
... and especially since induction is a requirement. Aluminum is fine except for live fire and induction... unless it has an induction-friendly disc bottom.

phatch

Staff member
Joined Mar 29, 2002
Top Bottom