Aluminum Shavings Falling Off in Baking sheets

Joined Jan 26, 2018
Hello, all. I run a small bakery in Phoenix and we are having some issues. We use aluminum baking sheets on steel racks. Every time we slide these aluminum racks in or out of the oven, aluminum shavings are falling off of the baking sheets. Does anyone else have this problem? What can be done about it?

Joined May 4, 2005
That's weird. Are the pans new? Is there just a ton of friction when you slide them in and out of the oven?

nicko

Founder of Cheftalk.com
Staff member
Joined Oct 5, 2001
Did you contact your supplier and tell them about the issue?

Joined Jul 28, 2001
common, but not good or healthy.
cause: atomic hydrogen (only know this from blacksmith/welding hobby). Usually a reaction from the type of soap you are using. High heat like pan washing machines accelerates the process. Basically the same thing as when you put an aluminum pan in your home dishwasher. It comes out black or with a residue. There is a flaking process involved in that. 1st. change soap you're using on the sheet pans. Always try to hand wash them. When you have some free time, it's probably a good thing to temper all your sheet pans and hand wash from there. When you temper them, if your oven is large enough, lay the pans upside down and cross-ways on your rack. This only to reduce metal to metal contact.
oh, make sure when you remove baked product, go from the bottom - up, until they stop flaking.

Joined Dec 29, 2019
Hello, all. I run a small bakery in Phoenix and we are having some issues. We use aluminum baking sheets on steel racks. Every time we slide these aluminum racks in or out of the oven, aluminum shavings are falling off of the baking sheets. Does anyone else have this problem? What can be done about it?
Sand the front edges of the steel rack, try a wire brush in a drill or an angle grinder with abrasive wheel, $40 total from harbor Freight. Wear safety goggles, its gonna thrown steel dust, do it outside, should only take a few minutes.

In future its best to go with alum racks for alum trays.

Joined Oct 10, 2005
What retired baker says, it sounds like you have sharp s/s edges somewhere that are rubbing against your pans. A file or sandpaper will round off these sharp edges. Remember, aluminum is baby-poo soft, you can cut it

I dont like aluminum sheet pans resting on aluminum trolleys, when aluminum abrades against aluminum, you get aluminum oxide-- a sticky black substance that smears all over your counters, your work surfaces, your clothing, and anything else. What I have done in the past is to glue on laminate strips or wood strips on the racks of the trolley

Latest posts

Top Bottom