Alternate uses for consomme

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by sparkie, Oct 21, 2012.

1. sparkie

sparkie

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Is there any reason to use consomme as a base for a sauce?

2. chefross

chefross

Exp:
    Former Chef
    Consomme is such a wonderful thing in and of itself. Why would you want to do anything with it?

3. kuan

kuan Moderator Staff Member

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    Well, yes and no.   Turning it into aspic is a good but not so common use.   Use it to seal pates and terrines, or use it to coat your presentation tray.  Brush it over your cut terrine if you need to have it sit out for a bit.  It's a great technique for a cruise ship style brunch where you need a big huge centerpiece presentation.

But there's no reason to use it as a base for a sauce.  That's just silly.  You make stock, clarify it, then turn it back into stock and make a sauce with it?

4. sparkie

sparkie

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    I was just doing some random web surfing and came across something saying that consomme is " commonly used as a soup, or as a base for sauces." I couldn't understand how clarifying a stock would improve a sauce over just using the stock without the clarification. It kinda goes against the the purpose. I just don't know why someone would write this, the rest of the article was poorly written and didn't provide any kind of insight.

But it did get me to thinking, maybe there is a benefit that I'm not seeing. And are there other uses for it. My web searches found a bunch of stuff on making them and different garnishes, quenelles, royales, etc. But nothing for sauce making or other uses.