almonds and birthday cakes

Discussion in 'Pastries & Baking' started by zammits, Oct 3, 2012.

1. zammits

zammits

Exp:
    At home cook
    fermi fang likes this.
  2. petalsandcoco

petalsandcoco

Exp:
    Private Chef
    Hello Zammits,

Thank you for posting your desserts. Can you tell me what the second picture is , what type of cake is that ? My other question is , how do you like working with fondant ?

Petals.

3. zammits

zammits

Exp:
    At home cook
    both second and third photos are of almonds made recipes the second one is an almond cake with a fantastic surface and the third are almond bisc

4. zammits

zammits

Exp:
    At home cook
    never tried fondant,do you like to work with it?and what do you usually do with it?

5. petalsandcoco

petalsandcoco

Exp:
    Private Chef
    So interesting....you made and covered the cakes with marzipan. I have never used marzipan to that extent (covering cakes) , by the pictures , it looks like fondant. (maybe its just me) .

Do you buy your marzipan or do you make it yourself ?

I use fondant depending the cake I am going to make. I put a crumb coat of buttercream first then the fondant. I have not posted all my cakes pics but I certainly do enjoy working with sugar art.

Did you learn this all by yourself ? Did someone teach you ?

Its always interesting to learn how other bakers work, what inspires them.

Petals.

6. zammits

zammits

Exp:
    At home cook
    so,it's a mixture of ground almonds sugar and egg whites yes it's kind of marzipan.i usually make it myself,most of the times when i buy it,it doesn't taste like almonds to me so to play it safe i do it myself/img/vbsmilies/smilies/smile.gif  no nobody taught me i look around watch cooking tv programms surf the internet look in books but haven't got any lessons,i just adore baking and cooking.

are you familiar to maltese islands?