almond macrons

Discussion in 'Pastries & Baking' started by pastrycake, Oct 22, 2012.

1. pastrycake

pastrycake

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    Hi,I failed twice making macarons..only was slightly successful once but most cracked. but, my biggest problem is the batter is too runny and spreads out when piped onto parchment.I aged my 3 eggs whites for a day, 2/3 c of almond meal, 1and 1/2 powder sugar and 3 tbsp of gran sugar. My eggs whites were beaten until stiff peaks and I mixed or macronage about 30 strokes. Am I not mixing long enough or should I let the batter sit a bit before fillng the piping bags?Thanks

2. rlyv

rlyv

Exp:
    Professional Pastry Chef
    If your batter is runny, you have over mixed when folding.  As you mix, stop and check the consistency.  You can see it change.  It's best to under mix, then fold a few more times. 

3. tahoe sugarchef

tahoe sugarchef

Exp:
    Professional Pastry Chef
    I also like to let mine sit for about about an hour after I pipe them and then I bake them off.  Don't give up!  You learn from your mistakes more than anything else!

4. prettycake

prettycake Banned

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    I failed a few times on the French Macarons..  once it hit me as to where I was doing wrong, I have not failed ever, and it has been a year now . .  You will do it right after a few attempts.  good luck.

,  I can now make them in my sleep...  this was the last ones I made last September 2012

Last edited: Oct 30, 2012
    tahoe sugarchef likes this.
  5. prettycake

prettycake Banned

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    I do not count how many folds I make.  I go by what I see..  I stop until I get the ketchup consistency.  As what Chef Tahoe mentioned,  they have to sit  to dry at least 30 mins (40 is what I always do) for them to form a skin.  What temp did you bake ?  I bake at 315 for 13-15 minutes.

Just keep trying.  You will it get in time for Christmas.  Good luck