Almond cookies

Discussion in 'Pastries & Baking' started by bughut, Dec 28, 2009.

1. bughut

bughut

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    we had a friend from New York to stay with us in Scotland for 4 days over Christmas and she made the most amazing almond cookies for us on boxing day. She bought most of the ingredients with her, but security in America wouldn't allow her to bring the white fat. I think it was called crisco??? Anyway, she substituted butter on the day(Lurpak), and swears she wont use anything else back home

My problem is... She forgot to leave the recipe. I think it may be a Chinese recipe. (she's Chinese American) And i want to be able to make them again very soon. (She'l be home tomorrow, but straight back to work and i dont like to bother her.)

All i know about the recipe is that she used 1lb of butter and 4 tbs of almond extract.Plain flour and caster sugarAmmounts???? And she put slivered almonds on top before they went in the oven

If anyone can help me, thank you in advance. i've been raving about these cookies to friends who'l be here on Hogmanay and I'd love to make them

2. boar_d_laze

boar_d_laze

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    Here's how I do...

(CHINESE) ALMOND COOKIES

Quantity: 5 doz cookies, approx
    Difficulty: Beginner

Ingredients:
    Cookies:
    4 cups flour
    1 tsp baking powder
    1 tsp baking soda
    2 cups shortening, lard and/or butter
    1-1/2 - 2 cups sugar
    4 tbs almond extract
    2 eggs

Garnish:
    1/2 pound (or more) whole or slivered, blanced almonds
    2 eggs

Technique:
    Sift the flour, baking powder and soda together.

Use an electric beater to cream the shortening, lard and/or butter well. Beat the sugar in, until fully incorporated. Add the almond extract, and the eggs (one at a time) beating until all is incorporated.

Add the dry mixture and mix well.

Divide the dough in quarters, and roll each quarter into a cylinder. Wrap each separately in cling wrap, then into the refrigerator for a long rest -- at least 3 hours.

Remove from the fridge, unwrap, and cut each log into 12 - 18 cookies. Use your palms to roll each piece into a little ball. Put them them on a baking sheet with about 1-1/2" between them. Then press a whole almond, flat onto the top, sprinkle with slivered almonds or both.

Lightly beat the remaining 2 eggs and brush the cookies with the egg wash.

Bake in a preheated 325F oven, about 15 -20 minutes per tray.

Hope this helps,
    BDL

PS. This is an original recipe. If you want to share it for non-commercial purposes, that's fine with me as long as you credit me, Boar D. Laze.

3. bughut

bughut

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Thanks BDL, its sounds right, but what about the 4 tbs of almond extract. Could tha be incorporated into the recipe?

happy Hogmanay to your good self on Thursday x

4. boar_d_laze

boar_d_laze

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    Oops. I accidentally edited it out of the ingredient list when I rewrote it to conform to the order in the "technique" section. Once botched, but now fixed the list for your printing pleasure.

Good catch.

Thanks,
    BDL