Allergens, help!

Joined Aug 25, 2021
Hi to all, opening a bakehouse/takeaway next week, I have allergen warning signage but how do I go about getting lists of everything I cook? Is it a case or sitting down and going through everything writing it down, thank you

Joined Oct 31, 2012
Who said you need to list everything you cook? I don't know what your allergen warnings are but at least you have some. You simply place a sign that says something like "if you have an allergy concern, please ask management and we will do our best to accommodate you." Your customers will walk in to your shop knowing in advance many of the allergens are present. Bakeshop= gluten, dairy, nuts allergies.
I currently work in healthcare and we encounter every allergy there is, many of which I'd never heard of. But most of them involve the basics like nut/tree nut, seafood, dairy, gluten, etc. As long as you are up front about it and open to customers concerns, it shouldn't be a big problem.
I've found it best when dealing with pre made products to simply show customers the box the product/ingredient comes in and let them read the ingredient list. Gluten is one allergen that is known by many names.

Joined Aug 25, 2021
Who said you need to list everything you cook? I don't know what your allergen warnings are but at least you have some. You simply place a sign that says something like "if you have an allergy concern, please ask management and we will do our best to accommodate you." Your customers will walk in to your shop knowing in advance many of the allergens are present. Bakeshop= gluten, dairy, nuts allergies.
I currently work in healthcare and we encounter every allergy there is, many of which I'd never heard of. But most of them involve the basics like nut/tree nut, seafood, dairy, gluten, etc. As long as you are up front about it and open to customers concerns, it shouldn't be a big problem.
I've found it best when dealing with pre made products to simply show customers the box the product/ingredient comes in and let them read the ingredient list. Gluten is one allergen that is known by many names.

I think I am drastically overthinking to be honest at the mo my head isn’t stopping , just want everything to go well as it’s my first venture into catering. Hoping my last and I can settle in here

Joined Jan 11, 2011
Alan Passard famously has a warning on his menu. It says: We do what we do, any requests for changes or modifications will be politely declined". His restaurant still manages to have a year long waiting list. Perhaps you should consider something similar?
Just IMO,' the customer is always right' is the single most toxic and destructive cliche ever inflicted on any industry and needs to be done away with.

Joined Oct 10, 2005
Don’t really understand the question. Every thing you prepare comes from your inventory of ingredients, therefore you identify all allergens in your your establishment: Peanuts, tree nuts, soy oil, dairy, eggs, chocolate ( contains minuscule amounts of soy lecithin)
Your going to have to have ingredient lists of items you sell, so whoever is selling knows exactly what’s in there when they are asked

Joined Aug 31, 2021
Hoping that you already opened your bakehouse, How is the going? Realized that the paranoia is gone and everything falling into place? All the best in your venture.

Joined Aug 25, 2021
Hoping that you already opened your bakehouse, How is the going? Realized that the paranoia is gone and everything falling into place? All the best in your venture.
Thank you 😊 well you got me I’m overthinking everything at the mo! I’ve put allergen signs up and have labels, I can do no more. Opening in a week, just waiting on a few essentials, pot sink being the main one. Thinking of some Halloween bakes while I wait, I suppose the big worry was losing stars on the food hygiene rating to be honest due to something small paperwork wise. Other than that I’m ready to rock and roll

Latest posts

Top Bottom