All soups I make taste like vomit?

Joined Dec 30, 2013
Please describe the flavor profile of vomit so your difficulties can be examined in minutia. /img/vbsmilies/smilies/wink.gif

I'm sure someone here has the answer. /img/vbsmilies/smilies/thumb.gif

Joined Mar 21, 2008
Buytric acid is the vomit odor chemical, it is a short chain fatty acid... so I suspect the fats he is using.

Joined Jun 3, 2011
The other suggestions such as ensuring you are using quality ingredients are key. But also ensure you are cooking in a nonreactive pan as they won't impart flavors to your soup. Someone mentioned cast iron as being a poor choice but also cheap aluminum pans should be avoided. Lastly, make sure no one is puking in your soup when you're not looking. 

Joined Apr 24, 2016
Nope, too much onion is quite unlikely to be the problem. Seek out a good recipe or two and follow them. Also, please don't succumb to the "arrogance of youth"... Tumors can happen at any age. There really could be a reason why you continually think you smell vomit.
​Haha I think I am good in that area, it is just my soup that tasted bad. Though, I made tomato sauce recently and it tasted a lot better.

Joined Apr 24, 2016
The tomatoes are your source of acidity. This far out of season they'll have little other flavor.
​Yes, I think this was the case. I bought vine tomatoes, cut them in half and pre cooked them for 30 minutes with olive oil, fresh thyme, garlic, and I left the vines on to give a little more flavor and took them off when I blended them together. So the vines could be it too, I also put WAY too much thyme because the bristles fell off into the soup when I boiled it

Joined Apr 24, 2016

I've tried to ignore this thread, but vomit? Seriously?

I've lived for a while, and NEVER had anything taste like vomit other than vomit. 

Is this simply a misplaced metaphor or. . . a troll?
​Nope, real. I am actually getting pretty good at cooking too but the acidity of the tomatoes was probably the reason. That with too much thyme and the vine of the tomatoes could have been why. My mom actually liked the soup with the exception of too much thyme, but I couldn't eat it. Way too acidic. Probably way too many herbs seeing I am used to dried having less flavor

Joined Aug 26, 2016
The closest I've ever made something taste like vomit is by adding too much dried oregano and thyme. I find that it does have a very pungent taste and is also quite gritty. 

Aside from that, check all of your ingredients and your equipment. Everything you put in a soup or a sauce contributes to its' flavour in some way, so if one item is old or otherwise not usable, it'll affect the rest of the ingredients. Is your skillet or pot dirty? Onions or oils expired?

I'd recommend following a few different recipes to learn the method and see how they turn out. After you've had a chance to learn the techniques, then you can start improvising and adding a bit of your creativity to the dish. Fact is, if everything is in good condition and of good quality, and if you're applying the proper method and techniques, it will end up being good. 

Joined Jan 31, 2012
I think the first thing you need to rule out, for sake of this thread, is that "its just you".

Have someone else try your soup, and have someone else make it from your exact recipe

and ingredients, then YOU try it and see if it still tastes vominated. (TM)

It's also possible , you're just choosing the word vomit to mean tastes terrible, off taste, not

palatable, etc.

But if all is on the up and up, Im planting my flag in the rancid-fat camp.

Last edited:
Joined Feb 22, 2016
firstly,  make a good chicken stock and use this instead of veg stock.  when making  tomato soup just try onions and garlic.  yes garlic. and some sugar.  buy some sherry vinegar and add some drops of this to the 'mater soup.  then after it cooks for a while, use a immersion blender   and pass it through a food mill or chinois.  then add your heavy cream.

on your corn chowder again toss the veg stock and use either seafood stock or buy some chicken or seafood base to enhance the flavor .

i have never had a soup taste/smell like vomit.  i think vomit may be a very strong word to use...mayb  strong sour taste is a better example.

Latest posts

Top Bottom