All soups I make taste like vomit?

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by submersed24, Apr 24, 2016.

1. submersed24

submersed24

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    Well, I like to cook(to eat) and I have been learning how to make soups lately, but for some reason, they always taste like vomit. I am extremely confused about why it tastes this way and I was hoping that you could give me ideas why. When I made tomatoe soup, I took tomaotes and put them on a pan and carmalized them with salt, pepper, olive oil, and thyme on them, then I through that into a pot and grinded it down and added vegetable stock. Unfortunately, that tasted like 100% vomit(it was extremely acid too).I blamed that on too much thyme. Later, I made the soup a different way by not adding thyme, I sautéed onions with pepper and salt then I added canned tomatoes, which ended up tasting worse. I tried to add sugar to make it less acidic, but the flavors just got worse. Finally, I went to make corn chowder and I added onions, celery, and carrots and sautéed it with salt and pepper and then added cream. I then added in canned corn and vegetable broth and tht too tasted like vomit, with a horrible smell. I cannot think of why it tastes so bad, any suggestions?

2. brianshaw

brianshaw

Exp:
    Former Chef
    Are you following a recipe or improvising? If the latter I'd suggest the former since your results are consistently unsuccessful. Soup should not taste like vomit. Perhaps you should also consider a medical exam... Brain tumors can cause phantom smells of feces and maybe vomit too.

tomnyc likes this.
  3. submersed24

submersed24

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    I was improvising, but the only thing I could think of would be too much onion, it was a really big onion but it shrunk a lot. And I def dont have a tumor lol, because I'm only 20

tomnyc likes this.
  4. submersed24

submersed24

Exp:
    Cook At Home

5. brianshaw

brianshaw

Exp:
    Former Chef
    Nope, too much onion is quite unlikely to be the problem. Seek out a good recipe or two and follow them. Also, please don't succumb to the "arrogance of youth"... Tumors can happen at any age. There really could be a reason why you continually think you smell vomit.

6. maryb

maryb

Exp:
    Semi pro/retired now
    Check your olive oil and other oils you are using to saute! If they are rancid it would cause that flavor profile!

7. phatch

phatch Moderator Staff Member

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    The tomatoes are your source of acidity. This far out of season they'll have little other flavor.

8. grande

grande

Exp:
    Sous Chef
    Arr you using canned/boxed veg stock? It is possibly the worst thing in the world. Water is better.

9. brianshaw

brianshaw

Exp:
    Former Chef
    Another question or two. Did the nasty smell happen when the soup was fresh, or after being cooled and stored? What did you cook the soup and what did you store in? Cooking in cast iron can give off flavored as can storing in some plastics.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2016
  10. the novice

the novice

Exp:
    Owner/Operator
    Are you vomiting in your soup?  Are you making vomit soup?

tomnyc likes this.
  11. jimyra

jimyra

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Good things in good things out, check your ingredients.  When I was 22 I went to a doctor about a blocked sinus. Three days later he removed a tumor, I was lucky it was not cancer.    

12. chefwriter

chefwriter

Exp:
    Professional Cook
    The question you should be asking is "Do the soups taste like vomit to anyone else?" 

If you make the soup and others think it tastes good, go see your doctor immediately. 

13. grande

grande

Exp:
    Sous Chef
    I'm not kidding about the boxed veg stock - that stuff is awful.

14. jake t buds

jake t buds

Exp:
    Other
    I've tried to ignore this thread, but vomit? Seriously?

I've lived for a while, and NEVER had anything taste like vomit other than vomit. 

Is this simply a misplaced metaphor or. . . a troll?

Last edited: Apr 26, 2016
    chicagoterry likes this.
  15. tristano

tristano

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    Hi, the only way to make a horrible soups is not to have idea of why you put certain ingredients and what is their use.

Wrong ratios of mirepoix, main ingredient and stock, wrong seasoning and bad quality of your ingredients can make you produce a disappointing soup (but tasting like vomit???). I once made a "throw random ingredient in random ratios" soup and the result was still eatable (but far from very tasty).

So, start with good fresh ingredients, avoid canned vegetables, if possible avoid cube stocks but make your own stock, take a recipe and use it as a template. The steps are always the same: sauteeing for flavour extraction, cooking in stock, pureeing, seasoning and thickening. I can't imagine what can go wrong.

16. steve tphc

steve tphc

Exp:
    Food Writer
    I have never tasted anything by any cook that tasted like vomit. Some thing very wrong!

17. chefbillyb

chefbillyb

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Learn to follow recipes!

18. grande

grande

Exp:
    Sous Chef
    Have you guys ever had canned veg stock?

19. brianshaw

brianshaw

Exp:
    Former Chef
    I'll trust you on that!

20. bakerkeegan

bakerkeegan

Exp:
    Professional Pastry Chef
    It may sound crazy, but are you using the same pot?  Perhaps there's something wrong with the pot itself and it's effecting the flavor.  If the soup doesn't taste like vomit to anyone else and different soups taste the same, it would seem the vessel you're cooking in may be the problem.

tomnyc likes this.