Alice does it again

Joined Aug 11, 2000
INteresting , as I read this the people that are saying it won't work don't sound like they are problem solvers. Davis Ca has a market to school program that I've heard is successful. This past week I did an interview on Slow Food and the school consulting job I got in STL , one of the questions was how do you respond when people say that SLOW is elitist....my response was that the mindset of eating a meal together and preparing it is not specific to income. STL has 160 gardens in the urban area that I know of, that are run as community gardens, you can plant and raise your own veg...it's priorities....You can glean or work on a sustainable farm in exchange for produce, there are ways to access product, you have to want it to happen.

Joined May 26, 2001
CC, I'm curious about why you titled this thread as you did. What did she do again? Go out and get publicity for herself, and by extension for her projects? Or just go after publicity for the project? Receive another call to publicize herself, and turn it into an opportunity to publicize her project? Or receive a call to publicize the project?

I'm kind of assuming that you mean it positively, but I'm not entirely sure. Sorry, but I can still hear that nasty, smarmy "There he goes again!" oozing out of the mouth of a now-former president. That's not your style, to be sure, but still . . . :confused:

Joined Jul 31, 2000
I've been called many things in my life but "Smarmy"now thats a first.

smarmy

adj : unpleasantly and excessively suave or ingratiating in manner or speech; "buttery praise"; "gave him a fulsome introduction"; "an oily sycophantic press agent"; "oleaginous hypocrisy"; "smarmy self-importance"; "the unctuous Uriah Heep"

As far as the title, well, you know, everytime you turn around, theres Alice. I meant it in a positive way as I am one who believes in M. Waters mission.

I hoped I answered your question:confused:

Joined May 26, 2001
No no, please: YOU'RE not the smarmy one. :D (That was a former president, now -- and possibly then too -- suffering from Alzheimers.)

I figured you were on her side, just not sure because . . . well, never mind. Actually, it's great to see that project getting press. I had heard that it had gone under. And as Shroom and others have pointed out, it is SOOOOOOOOOO important for kids to learn about real food.

Joined Aug 11, 2000
Alice Waters gets alot of press and at this time there are few that are following through and impacting the nation as strongly as she....CC has always been a strong proponent of hers and I saw nothing but good shtuff in his submitting it! Thanks, I don't get the NYTimes and may have missed reading it otherwise.

Joined Jul 31, 2000
Thanks Shroom, and NP Suzanne.

I rather play in the garden than fight in the sandbox anyway.

Joined Aug 11, 2000
There are several people I know that are trying to figure out a logical solution (s) to work a systemic change in the food our children are eating. Even CT has had threads featuring changes....obviously this is long term and HUGE>>>
Alice waters has been at this for over 25 years, in her time she has influenced so many by buying locally and expecting high standards, how to further and continue in a manner that propagates the desired results is a super challenge.

Joined Nov 29, 2001
I loved that story. We get the St. Pete Times on Wednesdays because that's the food day. I wish more people had her gumption.

Joined Feb 16, 2004
Last year I did an intership in alice her kitchen at chez anisse. I work nearly 100% the same way and have the same problems. It is very difficult to convince adults and kids alike to change their eating paterns. Here in holland organic foods are much more "normal" than in the states. I see that people with enough money, and after having the heart attack or cancer or something similar, start watching uout for what they eat.It's so easy to walk into a supermarket and fill the cart with junk. The butcher in my village makes money not on meat but microwave diners !! It's so sad !!People just d 'ont cook anymore at least not daily. The result is that we get rashes, diabetes ect... and yesterday there was this big article in a major newspaper that junk food is worst than smoking..It drives me nuts!! Why can 't humans come to a logic and obvious conclusion that food is all important for everything ?????? :confused: :confused:

Latest posts

Top Bottom