Ajvar? I bought some and it's good-but what's the story behind it?

Joined Jun 16, 2007
I bought a jar of "ajvar". The ingredients looked really good and it tastes really good. But I have no idea where the stuff originated--the label says it's made in Bulgaria, yet I'm not sure it's a Bulgarian thing.

It's made with sweet peppers, eggplant, garlic and hot peppers (though I couldn't taste the hot). I mixed in some parmesan cheese and sambal oelek and it's a perfect dip for crackers. There are more sweet (but flavorful) peppers in it than anything else.

It is imported by Indo-European company, with an almost-German brand "Zer Gut" (imagine an umlaut on the U).

Whatever it is, it's good. I'm just curious if it's German, Indian, Bulgarian, or what. I bought it in a store that sells mostly Indian and middle-eastern food.

Last edited:
Joined Sep 18, 2008
According to "Food Lover's Companion, Third Edition, Sharon Tyler Herbst, ISBN #0-7641-1258-9, page 6,
ajvar [EYE vahr] a popular cooked relish in Yugoslavia and Greece made from roasted sweet red peppers, eggplant, garlic. olive oil. salt, pepper and, sometimes, paprika. Ajvar can be served as an appetizer or side dish

Joined Jun 16, 2007
I googled it and didn't find it any reference like that. Thank you, Pete /img/vbsmilies/smilies/smile.gif

Last edited:
Top Bottom