Airport security and your knife kit

Discussion in 'Professional Chefs' started by leftychef, May 10, 2006.

1. leftychef

leftychef

DOes anyone know the steps that are needed to take a knife kit when you travel for a culinary event on and airplane? IE:Contests, Schooling, etc.
    or is that kinda out of the question nowadays?

2. higjse

higjse

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    you cant carry on a knife kit anymore... youll have to check it... which is risky considering some of us have a few thousand dollars worth of tools. When I flew to napa in February, I was pretty nervous about it but nothing was lost or damaged... good luck

There are travelers insurance policies I think.... might be something worth looking into.

3. pete

pete Moderator Staff Member

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Checking it should not be any problem, but they will not let you carry it on. Doesn't matter what excuse you come up with.

4. crazytatt

crazytatt

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Check it, I carried a case from the east coast to Vancouver(post 911) with no prob...

They WILL NOT allow the carry on of even a veggie peeler...

5. eloki

eloki

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    What if you use ceramic knives? Can they detect it?

6. travisbickle

travisbickle Banned

Exp:
    Line Cook
    If you send your knives via Fed Ex or UPS with their insurance to an address your know you can receive them, then just send your babies ahead of you. And also take some liquid assets with you incase the "worst" actually happens and you learn later that your package was lost and an airliner went down around the same time.

7. nentony

nentony

Exp:
    Owner/Operator
    "What if you use ceramic knives? Can they detect it?"

Heh, I know I'm not gonna be the one to test them!!

Tony

8. steve a

steve a

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    No doubt; you need to check them. Personally, I put my knife bag inside my hardshelled suitcase. Yes, it's still a shot in the dark whether they show up with you or not, but you're not going to carry them on.

9. aprilb

aprilb

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    I had to re-box and send my nail clippers, 2 nail files and some metal maincure tools separately as check in luggage when we reached Mexico. Didn't even occur to me about them being in my toiletries bag in my carry-on.

(Yeah, I'm going to hijack a plane by threatening to cut someone's nail to the quick...)

This was way before 911.

April

10. cakerookie

cakerookie

Exp:
    Line Cook
    I am with you I don't believe I would test them either. I was once made throw away a conk shell because it smelled like fish. Soaked in clorox for 2 weeks still had a fishy smell. No, the risk is not worth it no matter how well meaning you are they may not see it that way.

Regards Cakerookie...

11. blade55440

blade55440

Exp:
    Line Cook
    They X-ray everything you try to carry on, so yes they will detect them, maybe not in the metal detector (although I suspect there is metal in the handle/etc...).

I wouldn't suggest trying to test the theory though like the others have said.

p.s. I personally think they've gone overboard with stuff you can't take on now-a-days.