airplane food?

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by chloe23, Apr 29, 2002.

1. chloe23

chloe23

Does anyone out there like airplane food? I recently came back from a trip and I was thinking how they can make the airplane food taste better. Why does airplane food taste so awful? Is it only me who think airplane food tastes bad? The only thing that they can't screw up is the soba I had when I flew to Japan on Continental. All comments and opinions are welcome.

2. shawtycat

shawtycat

To answer your question, I would rather eat Gerber Strained Peas than airplane food. I could use the meat to resole my shoes, and the mashed potatoes to patch the hole in the sidewalk. That stuff sucks. Truly. And is it really supposed to take that long to open those honey roasted peanuts??? Its not Fort Knox.

3. billyg60

billyg60

well, I am SERIOUSLY consedering taking a position as the EXEC Chef at a catering company that caters to coporate jets and those private jets of the rich and famous.

I will be running a brand new kitchen--2 months old- that has a demenostration type kitchen, big plate glass windows so all the crews can see.

let me tell you,the menus sthey have at this company are things you will find in your higher end restaurants.

Now all I got to do is look at the offer my current employer is going to be giving me this week, then make my decision.

for a link to the menu I cooked for the owner look below. I got all of the ingredients from the inventory.

Billy

http://personal.atl.bellsouth.net/li...astingmenu.wps

4. shawtycat

shawtycat

Hey Billy

Couldn't see your menu. It opened up in MS Word but said the file extension wasn't valid or some such.

And if you do take a position at the airline let me know which one. At least the food on that plane will be edible. :)

5. jock

jock

Exp:
    At home cook
    I think that if you tasted the food prepared in the caterer's kitchen it would probably be quite good (relatively speaking.) There isn't much that can stand up to being stored and reheated in those sealed containers. The best they can do is prevent the food from drying out.
    I remember back in the 70's getting an upgrade to 1st class on an American Airways flight to somewhere. The flight attendants (I think they were still called Stewardesses in those days) cooked Chateaubriand (sp?) from scratch in the galley. It was delicious. I don't think we will see those days again :cry:

Jock

6. anneke

anneke

Exp:
    Culinary Instructor
    Your tastebuds do not function normally above a certain altitude. I'll have to look for that article I once read about that....

7. suzanne

suzanne

Exp:
    Food Editor
    "Airplane food" has long been considered an oxymoron.

I have never been so happy as since the flights I take stopped serving food post-9/11. Now I have to search out good stuff to brown-bag on my trips.:bounce:

8. shawtycat

shawtycat

The airlines have stopped serving food! :eek: Will wonders never cease :rolleyes: :D

Just one question though....do they check your brown bag too? I heard some people saying that they have to a sip of anything in a bottle they bring on to make sure it isnt acid or some other material. I don't think Id appreciate my sandwich getting strip-searched! :D

9. suzanne

suzanne

Exp:
    Food Editor
    When I've done it, they just ran the bag through the xray machine. But the "rules" keep changing everyday, so who knows?

10. risa

risa

Some airlines are still serving food. I think it depends on the travel time/distance. My brother flew on American Airlines from Vancouver to Saint Louis recently and they served "food." He was starving by the time he got here because it was egg salad sandwiches and he hates the stuff even when homemade. Now, how stupid were those caterers? It's not a very popular sandwich choice. And would anyone really trust eating egg salad on a plane?

11. chloe23

chloe23

They served food when I flew recently. And they use plastic knives now. I guess different airlines have different policies.

12. kokopuffs

kokopuffs

Exp:
    Home Cook
    I recently watched a documentary covering the maiden flight of the Boeing 707, destination Europe. For starters, pheasant under glass...

13. shawtycat

shawtycat

Hey Koko,

How much do I have to pay to get THAT on an airplane??? :) Real food.... ~drool~

Jodi

14. mezzaluna

mezzaluna

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    Midwest Express serves real food- on real china plates, with metal utensils (don't know about knives these days), cloth mats and napkins, glasses filled with champagne at breakfast, wine at dinner. They bake chocolate chip cookies on board in the afternoons and evenings. Two leather seats per side of the aisle, too.

Now that's civilized air travel!

15. dunk

dunk

I second that!! Midwest Express is great. The food actually tastes good and then they come around with WARM chocolate chip cookies...need I say more!

Dunk

16. chloe23

chloe23

Wow, sounds like Midwest Express is the way to travel....gotta look into that airline next time I travel. :)

17. suzanne

suzanne

Exp:
    Food Editor
    Wait a minute -- doesn't that mean that to fly them you have to be in the Midwest???:( :cry:

Just kidding!:D

18. dunk

dunk

No, you just have to be flying TO the midwest, I believe. I've flown from Newark to Omaha a couple times on Midwest for business -- I think they may be a bit more expensive than other airlines, but then again, I didn't pay for the flight, my company did:) . Most(if not all) of their flights are direct also -- no stops.

19. shawtycat

shawtycat

Id fly that airplane just for the FOOD! You guys are making me hungry for "airplane food" of all things.

20. isa

isa

I would be a lie to say I have fond memories of airplane meals. On the other hand train food, in first class, is very good. They serve fancier food than airlines. I remember a salmon fillet with vegetables julienne served with a nice wine glass or two. A nice selection of chocolate for dessert.

I was told that to eat well in airplanes you want to call ahead and say you eat kosher or vegetarian.