Aioli Recipes Anyone?

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by mrdecoy1, Feb 5, 2013.

1. mrdecoy1

mrdecoy1

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    Hey all, 

Now I can make aioli without breaking the emulsion. Just wondering if you have any trusted sources books or website where I can find some other ways to make it with different spices? thanks.

2. french fries

french fries

Exp:
    At home cook
    I hope this is not going to open another can of worms regarding names and authenticity etc... but "aïoli" is a garlic/olive oil emulsion and while there are some variations, none of them contain any spices. 

Now you could add spices (of course you could do whatever you want) but in that case the sauce is no longer an aïoli (for example sauce rouille, which is an aïoli with saffron, typically served with bouillabaisse and other fish soups). 

Back to aïoli, the ingredients are simply garlic + olive oil. That's it. The variations pretty much consist of various additions to help with the emulsification: lemon juice, egg yolk, whole egg, cooked potato, but you can make aïoli with just garlic and olive oil. 

Last edited: Feb 5, 2013
  3. phatch

phatch Moderator Staff Member

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
  4. mrdecoy1

mrdecoy1

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    Hi if adding spice means it no longer is aioli I didn't know that. But you get the idea here, yes I know what it is traditionally and I've made it plenty of times now :) but I'm wondering about for example a chipolte aioli, maybe something with more heat. Also I've heard of adding espelette pepper? ever heard of that? thanks....

5. phatch

phatch Moderator Staff Member

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    Harissa will bring all the heat you want.