Aging steak

Joined Apr 28, 2009
Hi,
I defrosted a steak several weeks ago (5 or 6) and it got pushed to the back of the fridge and was forgotten.

It was vacuum sealed by me, as is all I freeze, and still retains its vacuum.

It's an 18 ounce rib-eye and now the wife says toss it and I say it's well aged.

What is the truth, can it still be eaten?

Red.

Joined Jul 13, 2012
I wouldn't even entertain that thought. Aging is an air drying process - throw it out, but if you have to open it and see do so outside and downwind from your house.

Joined Mar 1, 2017
Given the fact the meat was vacuum sealed and frozen, chances are good that little in the way of decomposition or bacteria formation took place. But, that will largely depend upon the state of the meat at the time it was vacuum sealed and frozen.

Since the dry aging process is literally the controlled decomposition and partial dehydration of meat, I think we can safely say that did not take place with your steak. You may have more of a freezer burn issue, however.

The best way to find out is break open the vacuum bag, take a sniff and judge for yourself. If you get any hint of gamey funk of rotting meat, obviously its no good.

If you decide to eat the meat, just make sure its cooked to an internal temperature of at least 148'f. If it were me, I would go to 165'f.

Joined Jan 8, 2010
There is also such a thing as wet aging....
But since I haven't done it ('cause I actually don't like aged beef), I'll leave you to google it ;)
Personally, I think 5-6 weeks might be a bit too long. I would open it, wait a bit, then smell and decide....

Joined Sep 26, 2017
According to DeBragga, wet aging can be done for 6+ weeks.

I always wet age my beef for at least 6 weeks (because I usually buy low quality (tough) beef).

I have to say, though, that some turned out fabulously tender, some developed great funk/fragrance, but some simply rotted.

I guess it's all to do with the state the beef went into the vacuum bag, whether it was sanitized.

Last edited:
Joined Mar 21, 2008
If the package wasn't puffed up there wasn't any decomposition going on. If it smelled good I would have cooked it!

Joined Nov 15, 2015
I’m just beginning on the dry aging, trying to figure out exactly where I need to purchase my salt blocks from, built a dedicated cooler 8ft x 5ft, 6ft tall. I’m not thinking it’ll be necessary to fill the entire back wall. I’ll be having somewhere around 24-28 ribeye loins in at a time

Joined Sep 26, 2017
No need to build anything; just buy a convenience store cooler.

It works great. Much cheaper than a specialized dry aged cooler you see in some fancy restaurants too.

Joined Nov 15, 2015
Just acquired a Coca Cola display fridge for 100. Good airflow and temp hasn’t changed a degree for 24hrs

Joined Sep 26, 2017
That's what I'm talking about. A sale rep for one of the specialized dry agers unwittingly told me that their product is nothing but a glorified convenience store cooler with a few bells and whistles added; nothing you couldn't add yourself if you wanted to.

Joined Nov 15, 2015
Went ahead and purchased another, having my hvac guy install the same Coca Cola fridge system in an unused army storage locker, 54 wide 3 sections double doors above 2 huge drawers with more f
room for air flow. We’ll see how it goes after I’m broke building it, $300 in the hole so far

Joined Jan 8, 2010
Just acquired a Coca Cola display fridge for 100. Good airflow and temp hasn’t changed a degree for 24hrs
I am not sure what humidity you need, but check it, as my display fridge sits on a very high humidity (I am using and adjusting it into a curing/drying chamber)

Joined Sep 26, 2017
Make sure the ventilation around the coolers' area is sufficient. It gets hot pretty fast when you have multiple units all lined up. Especially in the summer.

Joined Nov 15, 2015
thank you for reminding me, i have about 1,250 sq ft to use with wayyy more air flow than i will ever need. its just an empty room with 2 2ton ac units (one is off). this room has been bothering me for about 2 years being unused. the room is out of the way for dry storage and wouldnt be possible to use as a banquet room. if you have any ideas on what i could use it for im all ears. ill post pictures of the aging fridge when it is back on site.

Latest posts

Top Bottom