Advise about a raise

Joined Mar 2, 2017
Hello all I started as a dishwasher 3.5 years ago started on their liNE 3 months later earned my way to sous chef a year later started at 34000 a year now 2 years later my boss said he was going to evaluate my salary and he gave me 36400 for a 7 percent raise after 2 years am I wrong to expect more should I ask for more or shold I just Co ti ue an try to prove myself

Joined Feb 17, 2010
Continue to improve and learn. I assume that you don't have any experience outside of what you have been taught at this job. You may be good at what you do there but would lost in another kitchen as sous. Titles are thrown around loosely these days.

If you are happy with a good schedule and a stable job stay, if not look for something else where you can learn from another chef.

What type of place, how big, etc? Does the chef teach you things?

Joined Mar 3, 2017
They are giving you a fair wage that is minimum for a starting sous chef, I washed dishes for 5 years and worked the line for 6 before I got my first Crack at sous chef and I'm only making 46k... always be humble, don't forget where you come from and learn and work hard. You will earn a raise by your performance, they will give it to you and you won't need to ask.

Joined Feb 23, 2017
They are giving you a fair wage that is minimum for a starting sous chef, I washed dishes for 5 years and worked the line for 6 before I got my first Crack at sous chef and I'm only making 46k... always be humble, don't forget where you come from and learn and work hard. You will earn a raise by your performance, they will give it to you and you won't need to ask.
I agree with the fair wage. What you have to look at is, are you still learning where your at. If you can find a job with a more talented chef, even if it means a pay cut, it's worth it to switch jobs. To be at a job 3.5 years is long when your young, assuming your young.when people see you hopping jobs every 6 months, that puts up a red flag. Find the most popular restaurant in your area based on food, not ladies night, and try to get a job there. Even if you take a step down, in pay and rank, if your learning more, it'll pay off in the long run.

Joined Mar 3, 2017
Your right hchaz you bring up a great point I was working on a 5 week cycle at the retirement home and learning nothing making decent money, I ended up taking a second job in the night (my current job) I staged for 3 days working for free, then I got payed close to minimum wage to work twice as hard making way less than I did at the retirement home... but the experience is much more valuable than money, after busting my tail for one year I got promoted after the sous was fired...

Top Bottom