Advice

Discussion in 'Professional Chefs' started by adamm, Apr 22, 2011.

1. adamm

adamm

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    I’m looking for advice, a year ago I was promoted to manager of the kitchen I work it, Iv work at this restaurant for a year before this as a cook.  I work under the executive chef,  who’s job was eliminated over a month ago and he was let go.  Since that time iv picked up his duties, from making specials, to all the ordering(which I did 99% of it before), to typing up the weekly specials, to figuring out food cost.  The place I work in is a retirement home that has a big kitchen for its assisted living  and a restaurant for the residents that are on there own which is where I work.  Iv done every thing the director has asked me to from figuring out food costs of items, things that the old exec never did but should have done.  I know I cant get the executive chef title for technical reasons but I feel I do everything a chef should, I want to go to our director and ask for more money and a title, but in this economy I know there not much out there that would go into and make the salary I make, plus benefits and pto so I cant really threat to go somewhere else because theres not much else out there .  What’s everyone’s opinion?  I bust my butt, and put out a quality product, the other two managers haven’t picked up any extra duties. I’m the only one that has gotton extra things to do.  I’m just looking for some advice from people who have been in the industry for a long time.  

2. thetincook

thetincook

Exp:
    Line Cook
    Wait... You think you can't get a bump up in title, but you can get a bump up in $$? Usually it's the other way, where you get a title promotion, but little or no raise.

In my experience, you usually only get more money when you get a new job. So my initial advice would be too set your self for a transition. This means building your management skills, networking, burnish your portfolio with great results at your current job, etc. All these things will help you at your current job too, which could get you raises, or a good counteroffer when you decide it might be time to move on. You are lucky to be well placed in a section of the industry that is guaranteed to grow.

My second piece of advice is that firing the exec should have freed up some labor $$. You could make a case for hiring some more kitchen help, even just a part timer. This would give you a 'raise' by taking production workload off yourself, so you'd be getting the same money for less hours.

My advice is in addition to campaigning for the raise you deserve. I suggest that you dollarize your worth to the company. Figure out how much you've saved the company by food costing, increased efficiency, more client participation, etc. Then ask for a % of that.

3. iceman

iceman

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    OK. I'm not all that sure how this would work for You, but I know it is what I would do. I'm an old-school dinosaur. Maybe try walking in to the office of whoever calls the shots, and tell him/her the same story you told here? All out in the open, strait-up, clean and simple. Maybe whoever is in charge just doesn't know what's up.