advice please

Discussion in 'General Culinary School Discussions' started by smokinman, Jan 28, 2003.

1. smokinman

smokinman

ok, here's the deal...i love food...i love cooking...i love talking and writing about food and cooking...but i hate working in resturaunts (sp)...maybe if i owned the place it would be different...i'm currently working on my ma in foods with my thesis being a cookbook...i'd also like to get my aas in culinary arts...should i take a break from the grad work to get the ca degree and then continue the ma?...or should i wait until after my ma; that way i can use what i learn to revise my thesis into what will be a hopefully publishable cookbook...i'd appreciate any feedback from you guys...especially those who have done something similar to my approach...thanks in advance

2. suzanne

suzanne

Exp:
    Food Editor
    What do you want to do when you grow up? ;) :D Please, I don't mean that in a nasty way -- but seriously, what do you plan for after you finish the thesis and turn it into a publishable cookbook. Write more cookbooks? Write food articles on a freelance basis? Get on the staff of a food magazine or website? Something else entirely?

I love school (BA, MBA, AOS in Culinary Arts and Restaurant Management, and I'm about to take a couple of courses in Editing), but it has to be for a purpose. What's yours?

Let's talk! :D

3. smokinman

smokinman

sorry its taken me so long to reply...i appreciate your time...i'm really trying to keep my options open as to the career path...i'd like to make a living just writing cookbooks and freelance writing, but i know that may not be possible as i first start out...my backup is to teach cooking at the college level...i'll be more than qualified for that...