Advice on type of schooling

Discussion in 'Choosing A Culinary School' started by bimmerman, Oct 30, 2016.

1. bimmerman

bimmerman

Exp:
    Home Chef
    So my wife and I are stuck in a little debate. She's going to be attending nursing school in Utah where she is from. I want to go to the culinary institute of America at gerystone. In order for us to be able to afford the tuition she would have to do her schooling first. That's another three years away. Should I attend a local community college to get a certificate for culinary art or wait to go to the CIA?

Please let me know your opinions. If it helps I really love haute cuisine. I love the art and love and passion that goes in each dish. I've always been artistic always loved art class and have been practicing my presentation. I do have high aspirations including opening my own restaurant.

2. chefwriter

chefwriter

Exp:
    Professional Cook
    More importantly, do you have any experience? Loving haute cuisine and being artistic are fine attributes but knowing what actual kitchen work is like will be far more important. Don't worry about school until you've gained at least a year of actual restaurant work. 

3. cheflayne

cheflayne

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Get a job in a haute cuisine restaurant while you wait the three years for your wife to finish her education. That way when your chance to attend the CIA comes, you will be that much ahead of classmates.

4. bimmerman

bimmerman

Exp:
    Home Chef
    I have worked in a couple of kitchens and I love the fast paced environment. So far it's looking like best option is like you all said go for a job in a haute kitchen and then attend school once my wife has her degree.

5. chefwriter

chefwriter

Exp:
    Professional Cook
    Just a quick thought. Remember that you are most valuable and your experience will be most rewarding in the long run, if you keep in mind that you are not above doing any task willingly and cheerfully. Washing dishes, peeling vegetables and the ultimate in jobs no one wants to do, cleaning the grease trap, are all necessary and will be a regular part of your duties some day as owner.  The higher up you go, the more inclusive your skill set should be and that always includes the menial and mundane. 

Last edited: Oct 31, 2016
  6. bimmerman

bimmerman

Exp:
    Home Chef
    That's exactly how I was raised. No job is benieth me. I have no issue taking out the trash washing dishes no matter the task I'll be ready for it and I'll always strive to get better and better at everything I do.