Advice on serving shrimp in chafers...

Discussion in 'Professional Catering' started by jc30058, Jul 27, 2017.

1. jc30058

jc30058

Exp:
    New Caterer
    I'm making Cajun shrimp in butter sauce for an event for 60 people. There is no kitchen onsite. My plan was to cook the shrimpin my kitchen, store in Cambro, and place in chafer 30 min before serving. I'm nervous it will overcook and become a chewy, rubbery, mess. Any advice?? I'm a new caterer with almost a year of experience. The other time I did this dish I had a kitchen. This client is someone who was at that event.....

2. chefbillyb

chefbillyb

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Welcome to Cheftalk! Shrimp is a real hard item to cater. All I could say is, when I catered and had an item that was difficult to cater, I had that item delivered to the catered affair separate from the other items. In other words, if I was doing Nola style BBQ shrimp I would send my crew early and I would follow with that dish closer to serving time. Not all items are equal when catering. In fact if I were catering or trying to sell a menu I wouldn't have this item on the menu if I didn't have a kitchen to do on site cooking. I my case I had portable ways of doing some of these dishes using demo Wok cooking on the buffet......Good Luck...ChefBillyB

3. jc30058

jc30058

Exp:
    New Caterer
    That's great advice and doable for this situation....I can have my mom bring the dish right before service...and I'll follow these instructions for the future. Thanks a million!!!

4. cheflayne

cheflayne

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    I would recommend using these on site if at all possible
    upload_2017-7-27_17-52-15.jpeg

Attached Files:

5. chefbuba

chefbuba

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    Cheep insurance.

6. meezenplaz

meezenplaz

Exp:
    Sous Chef, Event Manager
    im sold as well, i own 3 presently and would never sally forth to a catering event without them, with 2 cannisters each.

flipflopgirl, cronker and jc30058 like this.
  7. quelper

quelper

Exp:
    Professional Caterer
    I would partially cook them on high heat for flavor, chill and let the chafer finish from COLD!

thomas fontaine likes this.
  8. cronker

cronker

Exp:
    Restaurant Manager
    We use the individual gas canister hobs too, but the only thing I would suggest you keep in mind is the environment versus temperature - if you're outside on a cold, windy day, this will greatly affect their temperature conduction.
    But, I'm sure you would know that!

9. Cdp

Cdp

Exp:
    18 years Chef recent promo to Sous
    yeah man transporting this is asking for headaches,
    make it last item or even a demo this buys exposure and a meet greet plus the aromas will draw a crowd.
    so those camp stoves are a plus

10. chefross

chefross

Exp:
    Former Chef
    ...or perhaps the more logical thing to do...(in the future now...) would be to check out the venue beforehand to see what the kitchen looks like and gear the menu to that rather than take a chance on poor food quality simply because the guest wants it.