Advice: how to best preserve Kaffir Lime leaves?

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by mikelm, Feb 12, 2005.

1. mikelm

mikelm

Exp:
    Home Chef
    Just bought a packet of fresh kaffir lime leaves at the local Asian market. I'd like to preserve some of them, since they're rather expensive - about 30 cents apiece, I think. I'll use a few and - I hope - save the rest for later.

I can dehydrate them in a convection oven or microwave, vacuum pack them, or freeze them.

I have no idea which might keep them best. Any opinions?

THanks.

Mike :confused:

2. kuan

kuan Moderator Staff Member

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    Mine always dry out ibecause I keep them out and forget to put them in the fridge. They always dry out in the fridge as well so I don't know what to do. I think they don't retain much of their fragrance once you freeze them. Did that before.

Heck just put more lemongrass :)

3. chef from va

chef from va

Exp:
    Culinary Student
    the best way i have found to save lime leaves is to just buy theme as you need them (pain in the rear for me the nearest quality asain market is 60 mi. away!). you can freeze them but as kuan said they realy loose their fragrant quality wich of course is why we buy them. i have mixed them with white tea and stevia leaves, place that into some coffe filters and tie them off with some butchers twine or thread. brew in 180 F water for about 8 min. and add ice :lips:. but thats just me :chef:

4. bazookajoe

bazookajoe

Go ahead and freeze them, you will loose some quality, but then again don't be surprised on how much you get back in flavor depending on what you're doing. Cryo an option?

5. phatch

phatch Moderator Staff Member

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    I've frozen them. They are still better than not using them, but not as good as fresh either.

Phil