Advanced Professional Pastry Chef

Discussion in 'Cookbook Reviews' started by cakerookie, Nov 3, 2005.

1. cakerookie

cakerookie

Exp:
    Line Cook
    I was just curious as to what everyones thoughts were on The Advanced Professional Pastry Chef by Bo Friberg. I have the book and I love it. Just wondering what everyone else thinks?

2. grishka

grishka

Exp:
    Culinary Instructor
    i just think that is the pastry chef bible, :chef:

3. cakerookie

cakerookie

Exp:
    Line Cook
    I would not go a day without them. They are an invaluable help.

4. panini

panini

Exp:
    Owner/Operator
    I do not have the advanced but have The Professional Pastry Chef.
    I can't agree with it being the bible or even close. I found comments on items or formulas to have no explanation. This is for the Professional and I could add many comments to the generic statements. I found the word foolproof used in many items for which I just laughed in my head knowing that many things could go wrong. Thsi is the least used book when going to my library.
    Gosh. I hate to be negetive about something that others are real positive about. This is just my 2 cents. I think it's a great book for the non or semi experienced pastry chef. Also a little confused, it's the fundamentals for the pro's.
    I am also blessed to have family and inlaw2s in Europe and 40-50 percent of my library is from there.
    pan

5. cakerookie

cakerookie

Exp:
    Line Cook
    Hey Pan you are not being negative you are stating an opinion nothing wrong with that at all. I have both books. Unfortunately I do not have that large of a library when it comes to Pastry. I use them mainly for reference most of the time. And I agree with you on "foolproof" issues a lot can and will go wrong and most of the time at the worst possible moment. I just purchased Harold Mcgees book today and the chapter on Sugar Chocolate and Confectionary I believe will teach this rookie a little bit more about how and why I am doing something the way I am doing it. Of course you and CH have helped me a lot. Oh, by the way Pan, you and CH haven't bailed on me have you? Just wondering, seeing some sugar questions and you and CH haven't jumped in yet.