Advanced Hospitality Degree

Discussion in 'After Culinary School' started by cschley, Feb 28, 2014.

1. cschley

cschley

Exp:
    Restaurant Manager
    I have a B.S. Degree in Electrical Engineering, and I will be completing the Food and Beverage degree from Johnson County Community College's hospitality program.

I'm debating if I should pursue an advanced degree, either a Bachelor's or a Master's Degree. My immediate goal after graduation is to get into a front line management position somewhere. I'm currently employed as a Line cook (other duties as assigned,) so if I do pursue it, it will be one class at a time.

Those of you that hire people, how much does the Education credential matter? The credential is expensive, would it be better to read the theory and prove that I can use it at work?

I look forward to reading your advice.

2. brandon odell

brandon odell

Exp:
    Owner/Operator
    Send me your resume. I have a new position open soon for a personal chef in KC. I love new grads with experience. We start around 25-50% higher than most line positions and the work environment is MUCH better. Mostly weekdays. Nights and weekends pay overtime automatically.

Other than that, don't expect to get hired into a management position right out of school unless you have the necessary experience. Degrees don't prepare you to lead, experience in a successful kitchen does. You would do better to start as a dishwasher in the right kitchen than a manager in the wrong one.