Ads disrupting pages

Discussion in 'Report Site Problems' started by halb, Sep 12, 2018.

1. halb

halb

Exp:
    Owner/Operator
    I understand your reason for inserting ads but they are causing problems. I just upgraded to a new system, my old one had ad block installed. I would rather not do that again but I'm finding that now participating here is difficult.

Whenever one of those ads updates, about every 15 seconds, the page jumps making reading very annoying. Also, twice now, when typing I lost the entire page. It was like I hit the back arrow. If it wasn't for auto-save I would have had to start all over again.

Firefox 62.0 What gives?

2. HellaSteph

HellaSteph Staff Member

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    Hello, thanks for your report. We don't refresh ads every 15 seconds, so we're unsure how the page would jump that often.

So that I can process your report, you are using Firefox 62, but is it on desktop or mobile? Is it a Apple Mac or a Windows PC? If possible, please include a URL of the page you're visiting on Cheftalk so we can review it for erorrs. This information is required in order for us to troubleshoot.

Thanks!

3. halb

halb

Exp:
    Owner/Operator
    Sure, happy to help. Windows 7 desktop. The jump seems to coincide with the ad at the very top of the page changing. When this happens I can see the page loading information flash at the bottom left of the screen just above the task bar.

It's doing it right now on this page as I type. It does it on all pages.

4. halb

halb

Exp:
    Owner/Operator
    Google "content jumping".

5. HellaSteph

HellaSteph Staff Member

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    Do you have the link of the thread where you see this? Like the post or thread that you're trying to read?

6. halb

halb

Exp:
    Owner/Operator
    This thread right now! Any thread!
    I see what happens. When the ad refreshes it disappears then is replaced with the new one. When it is gone the page jumps up to occupy the space then back down when the new one is loaded.

7. halb

halb

Exp:
    Owner/Operator
    Interesting that (Google) Chrome includes a feature to keep this from happening considering that the ads are Google Ad Choices.

8. HellaSteph

HellaSteph Staff Member

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    We believe this maybe a browser setting that is causing (or letting) the page skip.

I've reported the issue and we will be troubleshooting this with your information provided.

Thanks!

9. halb

halb

Exp:
    Owner/Operator
    Thanks for the idea. I disabled auto scrolling and that seemed to work.

10. halb

halb

Exp:
    Owner/Operator
    Well, looks like I was premature, it's still doing it. It's that ad at the top of the topic page just above the thread title. When it refreshes the page jumps. Looks like that's the only ad that continuously refreshes. Can't you get rid of it or at least eliminate it for logged in members?

11. HellaSteph

HellaSteph Staff Member

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    We've been working on a solution. Sorry for the delay, we hope to have it resolved soon. Thank you!

12. halb

halb

Exp:
    Owner/Operator
    I appreciate that. I've been thinking that I can't be the only one seeing this problem and why no one else has said anything. Lately I've been using Internet Explorer and I'm not seeing this problem nor do I see it with Safari on my iPhone. I can't vouch for Chrome. So it looks like people using Firefox are the ones affected the most.

But what I'm seeing now is that when the ads load it disrupts scrolling and typing. A few times the browser froze and I got the message that a script is causing it.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2018
  13. HellaSteph

HellaSteph Staff Member

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    Thank you for this update. It's very help and we will continue to work on this. I appreciate your help!