Additions to sourdough bread?

Joined Jan 8, 2010
I'm making a lot of sourdough bread at the moment, but I don't have an oven available and am baking them in a frying pan (mostly without oil).
I want to mix in some other ingredients at the start, as I hardly knead the bread.
Is there anything that can't be added at that time because it disrupt the rising process/gluten formation?
I know to compensate for liquid and/or salt components.
Raw garlic gets mentioned on the internet, but I am not sure if it is just people repeating each other or if it is true.
I could imagine Turmeric or Ginger to have an effect?

On another note, if you have a good recipe for sourdough bread without an oven, please let me know ;)

phatch

Staff member
Joined Mar 29, 2002
I didn't stick with sourdough cooking. I didn't cook with it often enough to keep the starter fed properly and managed.

Joined May 5, 2010
I wish I could give you advice about bread without an oven, but I may be able to help on the additives to sourdough question.

I will punch down the dough after the first rise, and after 15 minutes or so, will divide, my dough.

Things I have done in the past were frosting the bread dough for 1 loaf with Pesto, and rolling it up Jelly roll style, pinching the edges as best can be.

I have caramelized onions and roasted garlic to add to the dough in the first stage while it's absorbing flour and hydrating.

I have re-hydrated sun-dried tomatoes to do the same as above.
Herbs, like rosemary, thyme, dill, marjoram, sage also get added also.
I have added shredded cheese, both soft. and aged (think Reggiano Parmesan)
I find that the more wet the product I add..... necessitates more flour, but I only add enough extra flour to keep the dough from sticking to the bowl while kneading.

Joined Jan 8, 2010
Thanks!
Some very good ideas there!
I'll keep experimenting.
I really like the pesto idea. Should have thought about that myself as I quite often use pesto instead of tomato based sauce on a pizza (or cream cheese mixed with pesto)

Joined Mar 4, 2015
Cranberry , walnut, raisin.
Caramelized onions.
Cheeses.

As far as wet ingredients mentioned earlier, I usually compensate by holding back some of the water in the recipe and mix in with the autolyse stage. From there you can adjust you water up far easier than with a developed dough if need be.

Joined Jan 4, 2011
OK ... I don't know. ... In the "bread" department I always bail out and just go to Panera. ... Here's my suggestion nonetheless ... Make a sourdough "Cinnamon Loaf". ... I know I'd be happy to eat it. Or a sourdough "Focaccia" . ... I'd happily eat that too.

I don't know about your clientele either ... but I've never been short of willing mouths to dispatch any of the mistakes coming out of my kitchen.

"We work in kitchens. ... It ain'te rocket surgery.".

Joined Jan 8, 2010
Thanks for the suggestions.
Is there anything that wouldn't work?
Anything to be wary of with regards to gluten formation?
As it will be in the dough from the start and be there for a good 12+ hours (since I got no fridge now, otherwise it could be 30 or so)

Top Bottom