Adding volume to brownies, without adding calories?

Joined Nov 16, 2009
What can you add to brownies to add weight/volume to them, without adding calories?

I'd like to add some volume to my brownies, because of how people tend to eat the same weight of food everyday. So I'd like to minimize the calories/weight ratio.

Here's what I'm currently thinking of in terms of a brownie recipe, in case anyone wants to critique or comment:
  • Betty Crocker brownie mix
  • Applesauce, instead of oil
  • All Whites egg whites

Joined Oct 16, 2008
Tristan, weight and volume are different. If you want to add volume whip your egg whites and make the brownie mix "souffle" like to give it the look of a taller/bigger brownie without add any weight to it. If you are looking to add weight you may want to try either pea protien(no flavor) or deoiled fiber. They will both give you the benefit of more weight and the added benefit of either more protien or fiber in your diet without imparting any flavor to the brownie.

Joined Nov 16, 2009
Thanks. Of course I'm aware weight and volume are different :) But both can have some effect on filling your stomach and curbing your appetite. Ideally I'd like to add both volume and weight.

Where could I find nutrition info on deoiled fiber? I'm having trouble locating anything on it.

Joined Oct 16, 2008
Its essentially unflavored Metamucile and you should be able to find it in any health food store.

phatch

Staff member
Joined Mar 29, 2002
While those additives don't impart flavor, they will act to dilute flavor and may negatively impact the dense texture you want in a brownie. At least, i would think they would if you added enough to really change the calories per serving.

You might also consider something bland and airy like puffed rice.

Joined Apr 3, 2008
toasted pinenuts, add a nice flavor and a smooth texture i can enjoy with a brownie, unlike walnuts which i usually find bitter and sometimes tough as a boot. not sure of how many calories they would add but a cup of them would definetly add volume.

Top Bottom