Adding Smokey Flavor

Joined Feb 8, 2009

So to be perfectly honest, I never tasted or knew what Kielbasa sausage was until I bought it accidentally at the grocery once.  I loved the taste though. There are a couple of specialty meat shops around here and they all have good andouille sausage, boudin, pickle meat, etc but I don't ever recall seeing kielbasa locally.  

What exactly is different about it? Just flavor?  What's the origin of Kielbasa.

Lauren lulu... we could probably answer your question pretty quickly by just finding out who on this forum knows what pickle meat is. (without google!)

I lived in Houston for 4 years after the storm.  Thought nothing when I asked the butcher at the HEB.. where's your pickle meat!  You should have see the look he gave me!  ...and it wasn't just him, there was about 4-5 other ppl around and looked at me like I was crazy. (or a pervert!)  Thanks to one lady who was also from N.O. knew what I was talking about and approached me laughing and saying "no no no honey... there's no pickle meat around here.  You don't live in N.O. anymore!"  

4 years after that, I saw pickle meat at that same HEB before we left to move back home.  I guess enough ppl asked.

ChefBillyB, that looks down right delicious!!
Polish Kielbasa, in most cases will be found in a sausage ring or rope. The polish would eat this for dinner with potatoes and kraut and a stone ground mustard. You will also see it steamed on a bun with mustard and kraut. At Easter morning my Mom would serve it sliced cold on a platter. I would find a butcher shop and tell them what your looking for as far as smoke and spice in the sausage. They isn't anything wrong with the Kielbasa it just won't do what you want in Gumbo. Do they have a Cajun sausage in any of the places you shop ? 

Joined Nov 6, 2004
    Who dat...

Kielbasa is what many people also call Polish Sausage.  Ekrich isn't a great example of a good Polish sausage and kindof has a flavor and texture very identifiable with their brands sausage. 

If you're looking to add a smoky flavor to your gumbo, a hock, smoked turkey, or adding left over pulled pork or smoked rib meat out to be suffice.  Sometimes I'll smoke, or grill, some small game hens and stuff them with dirty rice and serve in a bowl of gumbo.  Cut the game hen open and the dirty rice opens into the gumbo.

With the Polish sausage...place the Polish sausage in a bun, add a good amount of sauteed onion and mustard...you've got yourself a version of a Maxwell Street Polish Sausage...straight in the spirit of Jim's in Chicago.

I can't go to NoLa without visiting Elizabeth's for breakfast.  Of course, your boudin balls and cracklin' get heavenly outside of NoLa...and then staying in a camp on the water is something special.  I'm trying not to go on and on...but it would be wrong of me if I didn't mention how wonderful the town, the pub and the people are in Abita Springs

okay, I'm done...

Dan

Joined Nov 6, 2004

Polish Kielbasa, in most cases will be found in a sausage ring or rope. The polish would eat this for dinner with potatoes and kraut and a stone ground mustard. You will also see it steamed on a bun with mustard and kraut. At Easter morning my Mom would serve it sliced cold on a platter. I would find a butcher shop and tell them what your looking for as far as smoke and spice in the sausage. They isn't anything wrong with the Kielbasa it just won't do what you want in Gumbo. Do they have a Cajun sausage in any of the places you shop ? 
   If who dat is mentioning " they all have good andouille sausage, boudin, pickle meat, etc"...I'm guessing he's getting some nice andouille...just a hunch

Joined Dec 28, 2015
Oh... gone fishing... you speak to my heart.  Been to Elizabeth's.. great place but if you're on the north shore, Liz's Where-Ya-At in Mandeville (which is where I live) is freakin awesome also!  A must stop if you're in the neighborhood.  

On a sad note, the "camps" that you speak of are all gone since the storm.  Camps as we knew them.  I grew up with 3 family members owning camps so we were always there swimming, fishing, crabbing, and shrimping.  There are a bunch that have rebuilt but they don't seem the same to me.  Most ppl have elected to put travel trailers in place of camps or have built camps 20+ ft in the air.   I fish down in Delacroix and Hope Dale area and have been looking at property down there for a while.

But the next time you are near Elizabeth's... 2 blks away is "The Joint" (bbq place).  I may be in danger or starting a war here but I'll put their brisket up against anything I had in Texas.  Not saying anything against the food, especially Mexican and BBQ in Texas, it's really really good but The Joint is as good or better.

....and yes, I've been to Franklins and County Line in Austin and that tiny road side place in Lagrange.  All are awesome too.  Don't pass up a chance to goto the Joint! ....just sayin.... 

BTW..... If you happen to be in Austin, I highly recommend Magnolia Cafe for breakfast.  There are two; personally I like the one on Congress St. but the one near Lady Lake has more character.

pete

Staff member
Joined Oct 7, 2001
 A lot of great suggestions here.  I like the idea of doing up a bunch of smoked onions.  Yes there is time involved but they would have a variety of uses and you could make a large batch and freeze them.  My first thought, when reading the OP was smoked paprika-one of my favorite spices.  It's quick, simple and provides a good deal of flavor as well as a bit of heat.

Top Bottom