Adding butter/oil prevents boiling?

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by yummyfoods, Aug 5, 2005.

1. yummyfoods

yummyfoods

Perhaps this would have been better asked in the equipment forum because it involves a rice cooker I'm interested in. The cooker is a Cuisinart CRC-400

http://www.epinions.com/pr-Cuisinart...splay_~reviews

There seems to be a flaw in the design with this cooker as the reviews say boil-overs is common, regardless of how much rice is being cooked. They say adding butter or oil to the water keeps it from boiling over, but I don't understand why (chemistry anyone?). It looks like a great cooker for a bachlor, but the reviews are mixed, to say the least.

Can anyone also recommend a similarly sized cooker for a bachlor/small party sit down meal?

Thanks

2. phatch

phatch Moderator Staff Member

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    The theory with boil over is that the boiling produces bubbles that endure a bit, foam. This is the real problem. The oil inhibits the foam structure so it can't build up and boil over. It's not perfect but it can help. It won't stop all boil overs in all situations though.

Pressure cookers recommend oil for cooking beans specifically because the foam could block the pressure relief systems leading to dangerous situations.

Phil

3. mudbug

mudbug

Exp:
    Culinary Instructor
    If you're near a Chinatown, find one in the $12 - $15 range with one button. It will be more than sufficient just as a $14 wok from Chinatown is more recommended any other. There are existing threads on rice cookers here at ChefTalk which should answer your questions.

Any rice cooker where people have to add butter or oil to prevent boiling over should just be taken off the market. It defeats the purpose of the product in the first place.

4. jock

jock

Exp:
    At home cook
    Couldn't agree more. The oil/butter will almost certainly get absorbed into the rice and affect the flavor too.

Jock

5. 100folds

100folds

It's common practice to put a little fat into the rice to keep the grains moist and seperate. If you are worried about health, just use a little. But every culture, even the chinese culture, uses fat when cooking rice. Check it out. And use it moderatley. I don't feel it defeats the purpose at all. Cooking white rice might defeat the purpose though. If healthy is what you are after.

6. mangilao30

mangilao30

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    I am Chinese and no one in my family, 13 on my mom's side and 6 on my dad's side as well as lots of friends and family, use oil in cooking rice. The rice has to be well washed, fragrant, and cooked well, not too dry and not too wet. Plain white rice is how a cook is judged in our family. If you can't even cook rice you are useless, harsh but words to live by.