Adding a poolish to your bread recipe.

Discussion in 'Pastries & Baking' started by angrychef, Jul 30, 2001.

1. angrychef

angrychef

I was really happy with the outcome of my focaccia when I added a 2-day old poolish. I am trying to finalize my recipe but am confused as to whether I have to increase the % of salt,oil and sugar since the addition of the poolish increases the flour and water percentage in the recipe. Like if my recipe states 2% salt and flour at 100%, would the addition of a poolish(again, depending on how much I used)mean that I would have to increase the salt to compensate for the added flour and water in the poolish or preferment? Does this make sense?

2. thebighat

thebighat

Yeah, it does make sense,but I'm stumped as to how to even figure the weight and percentage of the poolish in the dough. But take a look at this...Craig Ponsford's web site There's a page in there with info about how to figure in stuff like that. Also some very interesting pictures.

[ July 30, 2001: Message edited by: thebighat ]

3. angrychef

angrychef

Thanks bighat. That does explain things a bit but I will have to sit down and put on my thinking cap to deal with all the math.

4. isa

isa

You don't need a baker but a mathematician to help you figure that one out [​IMG]

Unless you add the polish flour water yeast to the bread ingredients recalculating the % according to the new weight. Just a thought. But I am sure it could not be that simple.

[ July 30, 2001: Message edited by: Iza ]