Adding a poolish to your bread recipe.

Joined Jan 15, 2001
I was really happy with the outcome of my focaccia when I added a 2-day old poolish. I am trying to finalize my recipe but am confused as to whether I have to increase the % of salt,oil and sugar since the addition of the poolish increases the flour and water percentage in the recipe. Like if my recipe states 2% salt and flour at 100%, would the addition of a poolish(again, depending on how much I used)mean that I would have to increase the salt to compensate for the added flour and water in the poolish or preferment? Does this make sense?

Joined Feb 21, 2001
Yeah, it does make sense,but I'm stumped as to how to even figure the weight and percentage of the poolish in the dough. But take a look at this...Craig Ponsford's web site There's a page in there with info about how to figure in stuff like that. Also some very interesting pictures.

[ July 30, 2001: Message edited by: thebighat ]

Joined Jan 15, 2001
Thanks bighat. That does explain things a bit but I will have to sit down and put on my thinking cap to deal with all the math.

isa

Joined Apr 4, 2000
You don't need a baker but a mathematician to help you figure that one out
buck.gif

Unless you add the polish flour water yeast to the bread ingredients recalculating the % according to the new weight. Just a thought. But I am sure it could not be that simple.

[ July 30, 2001: Message edited by: Iza ]

Latest posts

Top Bottom