Added attractions or lagniappe

Discussion in 'Restaurant Reviews' started by shroomgirl, Jan 1, 2001.

1. shroomgirl

shroomgirl

Exp:
    Professional Caterer
    Just got in from Memphis, stop at Lamberts in Sikeston on my way home.....
    They are noted and advertise aggressively that they are the home of the "Throwed Rolls"
    Waiters will actually heave cloverleaf rolls at patrons in the restaurant.
    In this same vein what other restaurants have an interesting attraction (for lack of a better word)......

2. lynne

lynne

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Look at the popularity of **** 's Last Resort where they try to be as rude and crude as they can!

Funny story: We had a set of prim and proper Brits come in to town last year and got to play tour guide--the B&B/house was undergoing renovations and was a mess! (the man runs a distribution center for my dad over there). The wife wants MEAT to eat. Period. Lunch we took them to Rudy's - home of the best Texas BBQ! Rudy's is in all actuality a cooked meat market. You order your brisket (moist or dry), sausage, turkey, ribs or pork loin by the pound. They ask you how many people and they pull out an appropriate number of handfuls of mushy white bread (Wonder-type bread, but here the brand is Mrs Baird's and is the only kinda bread for BBQ - believe me - I've tried the others...) and they give you a piece of waxed butchers paper for each person. Lunch is served. (Beer and sodas are in troughs along the line and they recently added creamed corn, beans and slaw that you buy by the pint (you used to have to go to the attached convenience store for it!) Anyways its awesome food. The Brits weren't sure about the whole thing. Its always a great place to go at lunch. It's by the Dominion where all kinds of rich folk live ( a lot of the Spurs, some country singers...). So you get them, business men in suits and your cowboys off the ranch all sitting at greasy tables and enjoying themselves -- one day we saw a guy straight off the ranch who couldn't get out of the tiny car he had folded himself into -- his spur had gotten caught!!!

Anyway. We next went to the Riverwalk and they wanted to stop for a drink and chose Dicks. The woman orders grapefruit juice. Was told NO! and brought OJ. I ordered tea and the straws were thrown at me. My mom ordered coffee and stirrers and creamers were thrown down the table at her -- kind of weird. But a most popular spot. I haven't eaten there but hear that it is good! It also is on the bottom level of a hospital! Can you imagine lying there in a hospital bed listening to the bar???

I rambled, I'm sorry.

[This message has been edited by lynne (edited 12-31-2000).]

3. lynne

lynne

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    The original (and best) Rudy's is in Leon Springs. (15-20 minutes up IH10 from San Antonio. Rudy's has opened a couple of other locations here in town but they aren't quite as good.

I took my sister's friends up there before her wedding this summer and everyone had a blast because it was a little different but good! (No one else lived in Texas; so it was a new experience. The only problem was the vegan -- nothing but jalapenos come w/o some kind of meat product! Got her a salad from the chichi grocery on the way up!)

4. shroomgirl

shroomgirl

Exp:
    Professional Caterer
    Had technical difficulty with an extensive reply....

Yep- done the paper, meat, white bread and peppers/pickles deal...seemed like true Texas.

Bagwell 2424 in 1978 had a Turkish Coffee server pour at the end of your meal...in costume.

Aquavite was poured from a flowery ice mold tableside at a Scandnavian restuarant in Atlanta.

There are so many restaurants that has a signature, fun wonderful eliment that makes them unique or close to it....if you know any please share.

5. shroomgirl

shroomgirl

Exp:
    Professional Caterer
    Whoa that is an incredible price....fortunately or not...I just bought a half a pig...I'm up to my hocks in pigggggy.
    But as soon as this deminishes I will check it out thanks. I end up going that way several times a year, especially during the holidays.

****Red Beans!!! Ham bones scream red beans....then go with andouille after the first 3 hours of cooking. UMMMMM nothing like it in the cool weather.

[This message has been edited by shroomgirl (edited 01-22-2001).]