Adapting bread for bagels?

Discussion in 'Pastries & Baking' started by nostalgia, Feb 28, 2006.

1. nostalgia

nostalgia

Morning, all. I've been making bagels for a while (from the Baker's Apprentice formula), and they're always a big hit at work. I'd like to try making rye and pumpernickel bagels.

Is there anything I'd need to change in the way I normally make rye/pumpernickel bread to make them suitable for the boiling/baking of bagels? I'm guessing I'd at least need to make the dough a bit stiffer than normal.

Thanks!

-Joe

2. kylew

kylew

Exp:
    Home Chef
    Use the highest posible protein level flour you can find. As you indicated, the dough needs to be really stiff. I would also start by using only a small percentage % of whole grain flour, rather than 100%. I would make up the balance of the flour with something like KA's Sir Lancelot which is like 14%.

3. nostalgia

nostalgia

Alright, gave it a try. I substituted KA Sir Lancelot for the AP flour in the recipe, and made the doughs a bit stiff. The dough feels good; I'm hopeful. They're in the fridge fermenting now. Wish me luck tomorrow :)

-Joe

4. mezzaluna

mezzaluna

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    Pass me the cream cheese! How did they come out?

5. nostalgia

nostalgia

The sourdough rye were absolutely outstanding. Nice, tangy rye taste, great texture. Can't wait to eat a few more :)

The pumpernickel were delicious, but very dense and heavy. I know pumpernickel should be pretty dense, but these were a bit much.

I think I needed to give them a bit more of a rise before shaping to lighten them up. They never passed the 'float test' the night before (even after over an hour), and only floated after about 30 seconds of boiling this morning. The rye and plain flour ones floated immediately after a 20 minute rest.

Would using regular AP instead of high-gluten flour lighen them up, or does that just affect the chewiness of the dough? The recipe ended up being about 70-80% rye/whole wheat and 20-30% high-gluten.

The rye and pumpernickel were made from the same starter.

They sure look nice, though!

-Joe

6. kylew

kylew

Exp:
    Home Chef
    They look pretty damned good to me. If you want to lighten them up a bit, I'd increase the % of High gluten flour relative to the whole grain. I would not switch to AP.