Action station

Discussion in 'Professional Chefs' started by dylanseattle, Feb 17, 2017.

1. dylanseattle

dylanseattle

Exp:
    Sous Chef
    Hello everyone, im looking for action station ideas. Im the sous chef for a retirnent cuminity. Some things we've done, carving stations, stir frys, omelltes, table side salads, pasta bars. Id like to do more. They can be picky, meat and potatoes generation, still i want to try other dishes that push their boundaires. Im just trying to go with some thing less traditonal then say a piccata, marsala, or jubbles. Any ideas help, thank you.

2. chefross

chefross

Exp:
    Former Chef
    How about these:

Baked potato or Tater tot bar with toppings

Chili bar with toppings

Taco bar with toppings

Soup Bar featuring 4-5 soups with some toppings

ice cream sundae bar with toppings

Make your own crepe bar

Belgian Waffle bar with toppings

How about cooking lessons for the seniors....something simple

3. laurenlulu

laurenlulu

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    I did this as the executive chef at a retirement community, we called it Display Cooking. I tended to do sweets because that is what my crowd liked.

Dessert egg rolls filled with compote, some with cream cheese/powdered sugar as well (put into a piping bag for easy filling). Fry in dining room, top with a little powdered sugar.

Mock Bananas Foster, we couldn't do the flame because of oxygen tanks.

Bread Pudding served up, make creme anglais or hard sauce in dining room to top.

Depending on the size of your crowd and staff to help, they love ice cream sandwiches. Bake off a ton of cookies and bring tub of ice cream into dining room. Make sandwiches quickly.

I also hosted a cake decorating class for my seniors. It helped to keep their hand strength up and steady their hands. This may satisfy your requirement too.

4. jimyra

jimyra

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    How about cooking lessons for the seniors....something simple

Depending on the size of your crowd and staff to help, they love ice cream sandwiches. Bake off a ton of cookies and bring tub of ice cream into dining room. Make sandwiches quickly

As a senior I wonder why we have to keep it simple we are old not stupid.  My friends that are in a institution would love the ice cream sandwich idea.  They could all go out back get stoned, get the munchies, and hit the ice cream.

flipflopgirl likes this.