About mixing Egg Whites

Discussion in 'Pastries & Baking' started by Chewie, Aug 18, 2019.

1. Chewie

Chewie

Exp:
    w
    I was attempting to make pancake souffles and tried to make the egg whites reach its peak with the use of hand mixer. Seriously though how long can 2 pieces of egg whites can turn to a foam? an hour? 30 mins?

Because it took me literally 2 hours to mix and only ended not being a foam but i started with a slow spin for the mixer and then increased full speed of the mixer once it started getting bubbles

julie204 likes this.
  2. brianshaw

brianshaw

Exp:
    Former Chef
    Sounds to me as if you have something bad going on there - fat contamination, cold egg, etc. describe your procedure and conditions in more detail please.

Tami M likes this.
  3. Pat Pat

Pat Pat

Exp:
    Chef Emeritus
    Definitely got some fat from the yolk or the bowl in there. No doubt about it.

Tami M likes this.
  4. cheflayne

cheflayne

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    How did you separate the eggs, pouring back forth between shells or by straining through your fingers?

5. Tami M

Tami M

Exp:
    Beginner
    How funny that the first post I read after joining is about beating egg whites.

I attempted to make a Chocolate Mousse yesterday, and was having a terrible time with my meringue. I left it in the mixer for what seemed like forever, and the whites never did get beyond the thick foamy stage.

After I was done, (it turned out not bad--hubby loved it), I Googled some information and found out that even if the tiiiiiiniest amount of yolk is in the mix, it won't turn out. I also learned that adding 1/4-1/2 tsp of Cream Of Tartar will help the meringue hold it's shape.

I also found out that even the slightest film of fat in the bowl would cause problems too. But to get around it, you can clean the bowl out with lemon juice or vinegar (astringent), dry it with a paper towel and that should eliminate that problem.

All I can say is give it another try with these tips and see if you have better luck. I'll be sending positive thoughts your way that you succeed next time. Good Luck! :)

Chewie likes this.
  6. Transglutaminase

Transglutaminase

Exp:
    Professional Bum
    Sometimes eggs are a bit resistant to change.
    Might I suggest a bit of discipline before the beating? :evil: {joking, of course!} ;-)
    eggstreme discipline sm.jpg

Chewie, fatcook, Tami M and 1 other person like this.
  7. Chewie

Chewie

Exp:
    w
    i separated both Room temperature egg whites and the yolk then as i used the hand mixer to mix the the egg whites on a clean bowl, after it got only a bit bubbly for 3 minutes, i changed the speed from slow to moderate speed of the mixer and i added 15 g of granulated sugar, then i waited another 10 minutes then added another 2, 15 g of white sugar then fasten up from slow to high speed of the mixer thennnn waited for it to get foamy. After 30 mins of mixing in high speed, it got foamy ( But its the type of foam that still is all liquidy and doesnt stick on the spoon or other tensel like its just lall liquid) after spinning for another 1 hour n 30 mins, the foam still has the same result as it was from the first 30 mins i mixed it

Heck Im bad at this

Untitled.png
    :<

8. brianshaw

brianshaw

Exp:
    Former Chef
    I’d still guess a fat contamination. But hand mixers - and I’m assuming you mean an electric hand mixer - have been quite underpowered for the past 30 years or so.

Try again. Use a metal bowl, preferably copper. Wash your bowls very carefully with vinegar/lemon and salt to ensure no greasy residue. Separate very carefully. Use a whisk this time and lots of “elbow grease”... back and forth vigorously but not so much that your shoulder pops out of the socket! Add a bit of Cream of Tartar too.

You may be bad at this now but that can be changed!

Chewie likes this.
  9. Tami M

Tami M

Exp:
    Beginner
    Why copper? What's the difference between glass, copper & stainless?

10. Tami M

Tami M

Exp:
    Beginner
    I go so far as to wipe down not only the bowls, but the beaters and tools that I'll use to scrape the sides of the bowl whilst mixing. Anything that'll go into the mixture.

brianshaw likes this.
  11. phatch

phatch Moderator Staff Member

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    Copper will release a small amount of copper ions from the whisking action. These ions stabilize the whipped whites.

12. Tami M

Tami M

Exp:
    Beginner
    Great to know.....I'll get me one. :) Thanks!

13. fatcook

fatcook

Exp:
    Owner/Operator
    If you are new to separating eggs, you may find separating them while they are still cold will help prevent the yolk breaking. Then you can let the whites come to room temperature.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2019
    Tami M likes this.
  14. Tami M

Tami M

Exp:
    Beginner
    That's a great idea, fatcook. I'll try that next time.