AAARRGGGHH.... No kitchens are hiring

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by crane, Jan 8, 2002.

1. crane

crane

I am an undergrad in St. Petersburg Florida. I have been trying for a while to find any type of job in a kitchen, I have not problem doing the lowliest type of work. I've been a dishwasher before, and I'd be happy to do it again if I could just get some "kitchen experience". All of the places that are hiring are just hiring line cooks, and I'm not experienced enough for that. What can I do? I need to get a job. Oh well, I guess I can just keep on looking.

2. anneke

anneke

Exp:
    Culinary Instructor
    Have you tried through your school?
    How bad do you need the money? Would you consider working for free to get some experience?

It's a tough time of year to be looking Crane; kitchens are slowing down after the holidays. But it's always a good time to offer your services for free...

Good luck to you!

3. crane

crane

I don't really need the money, but who wouldn't want to make a few extra dollars. I really just want experience. I would be willing to work for free, but I thought that there were some legal problems with that, like liability.
    I may just end up taking a job in the dining room of a restaurant, but I would really like to be in the kitchen.

4. anneke

anneke

Exp:
    Culinary Instructor
    Many restaurants do it Crane, and many people on this board have done it. I'm thinking specifically of Slave Girl. She's in a better position to tell you about liability and insurance issues as she is living in the US.

If you chose to go that route, then aim high. Don't settle for a mediocre restaurant. Aim for the best restaurant in town; if they turn you down, go to number 2, etc. If you're going to work for free, then you deserve to really get something out of it.

5. chrose

chrose

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    You're in Florida, how about the cruise ships. As Anneke said it is a bad time of year. Just remember there are a lot of food places. Schools, cafes, bowling alleys, diners, groceries, hospitals, caterers. If you really want to start turning over rocks and look everywhere. Check out temp agencies. It will change. Good luck.

6. slavegirl

slavegirl

Hi!

Yes, I am indeed working for no pay in a restaurant right now. I did have to pay my own liability, which covers me for a year. The first month I wasn't paying for it and the exec chef soon told me that I had to be covered. I think it's better to play by the rules and do that, if they asked. When I mentioned that I was paying so that I could return in an online site that I keep that I'm using to chronicle my time in the kitchen, a few kind folks were annoyed, on my behalf, that I had to pay. I guess with so many folks working in restaurants under questionable circumstances, etc., they thought I was really being gypped. But I don't mind paying, if it keeps it all on the level, I didn't want the chef in trouble for having me around. I look at it as a **** of a lot more bang for my buck than if I put it towards a cooking class, it covers my learning for a whole year!

Just ask a chef if you can work for them for free. They get free help, and you get experience. Just make sure that you create a schedule and STICK to it. I am free to come and go from the restaurant as I please, and I am lucky that way, but I always show up when I say that I will, and give plenty of advance if I cannot be there on my usual days.

Don't be afraid to ask. People are generally nice and all it takes is a little interest and effort, and they might just let you in, especially if it's at no cost to them. =)

SG:bounce:

7. crane

crane

Slavegirl, through what organization are you paying for your own liability?

8. slavegirl

slavegirl

The same one as every other cook in the restaurant.

I am a legal employee, even though I don't get paid. I have a W-2, filled out paperwork, all that jazz. I just gave them a check to cover it, as far as they were concerned, it didn't matter where the cash came from, so long as they had it. I forked it over instead of them.

SG