Aaaaaahhhh! Summer!!!

Joined Oct 15, 2000
For dinner tonight I had Organic baby greens for salad, Brined 1.5 inch pork chops off my grill and little bitty baby BLUE potatoes that I coursely mashed with sweet butter and some horseradish. Potatoes were dug this morning and still muddy. Also organic. My fresh peaches will be ripe tomorrow. Some to eat, some to make ice cream and a few left for a nice rustic tart. Good lord...does it get any better? BTW, I use charcoal with some cherrywood chunks thrown in. You can keep the gas grill. In case you are wondering, the potatoes retain the color after cooking. My taters were purple! What fun.
:D

[ June 23, 2001: Message edited by: mofo1 ]

Joined Aug 11, 2000
Oh baby when's dinner?!!!!! We've got organic green beans and garlic on the market...organic blueberries, wild black raspberries,a few heirloom tomatoes, organic pink potatoes, kennebecks too....hmmmorganic beets, carrots, napa cabbage, baby fennel, the tailend of gooseberries....one of my OCIA organic guys does potatoes...he brings in some the size of marbles!!!talk about flavor!!! I had an older couple ask me today with shiny eyes when the butter farmer would be back (she was in 3-4 weeks ago to demo her milk) she lives 4 hours away and just came in to sell butter while it was still cool...awesome organic free range butter...
So my friend was that meal at home or at the restaurant and how far again are you from St. Louis?

Joined Oct 15, 2000
Hi shroom,
That was for me and mine at home. My (home) Roma tomatoes are about ready to start ripening, and I've got a few jalapenos starting to grow. Even my old mulberry tree has been putting some good stuff this year. Next stop...Silver Queen sweet corn. I'm about 3.5 hours north of you. I'll share my bounty anytime! :)

Joined Mar 13, 2001
In all fairness, by the time you enjoy YOUR greens again, it will be our turn to be buried in snow!!

Joined Apr 24, 2001
But, Ribbony, there must be something to eat in Australia in the wintertime that you can't get in the summertime (that we can in turn be jealous about). I tend to eat seasonally. I found that this prevents me from lamenting for want of a ripe and juicey peach when the trees are dormant. So when it comes your turn to make our mouths water with that juicey peach in hand in December, I'll be munching on chestnuts and persimmons and wishing for that peach.

Joined Jul 2, 2001
Summer is my favorite time of yr. .Living in CA we get awesome vegetables year around. But it is the fruit that gets me. Berries sweet and bursting with juicy flavor, cherries just picked, necterines, peaches, plums,apricots wow how do I begin. I think I'll have a necterine followed by a .......

Joined Mar 6, 2001
So that's where all the good tasting fruit is fodigger...you guys in CA are hoarding it! The stone fruits are tasteless in the midwest. I can't even remember the last time I had a peach that was sweet and moist. Since you got your fill this year of great fruit, could you CA people arrange for the harvest to be sent to "poor olde us in the midwest" next year? Pretty please?

I just started picking my first apples last weekend (incase that might make you jealous, ha). As organtic as I can keep them...at least theres no wax and their colors are so intense if I did a painting of them no one would believe I wasen't exagerating.

Joined Jul 2, 2001
sorry Debord, Ill see what I can do you for next yr. though. On the apple issue though about 15 mikes from here is a place called see canyon ,they grow GREAT golden delicious and they'll be ready in another 2 weeks. Also maybe to make you just a little more jealous I had the best white peach today almost like eating sugar it was so sweet and was it ever juicy.

Joined Jul 2, 2001
Also,you might try Harry and Davids: I got some as a gift once and every peach was perfect. They are based in Oregon. Don't remember is they have a web site though. Just a thought anyway, nice to treat oneself every once in a while :D

Joined Aug 11, 2000
Whoa~ flavorless peaches in the Midwest???!!!!
Calhoun County Illinois is famous for their peaches. They are lucious, I peeled 1/2 peck of white peaches last night for a pie. The yellow are out too...a couple more weeks. Call the Green City Market and see if they have a peach farmer if not suggest they contact the Dept of Ag and find one.
Apples started 2 weeks ago.....Mo apples are fine and we have an organic orchard coming to market this next week.
OH MAN GUYS~ we have tomatoes, sweet onions, garlic, edeames, baby squash, chartelais melons, carrots, green onions, cucumbers, concord grapes, baby greens, spicy greens, eggplants out the wazoo, peppers hot and sweet, potatoes(about 15 varities), green beans, arugula, scallions, dried beans (Swedish, cranberry, black, pinto) popcorn.
I'm not sure where your shopping but this is available in the heart of the midwest....most organic.
If you are not accessing it check out your farmer's markets and if they don't have it tell them to contact me.....

Joined Mar 6, 2001
I buy from the grocery store mostly. I don't even know where or when there is a farmers market in my area. How would I find that info. Shroomgirl? Far Northwest suburbs of Chicago???

Maybe I sould have written Northern mid-west? Please, the cantelops are the driest, worst melons this year I've ever come across, even if they were free it would cost too much. The stone fruits look good at the store but have NO SCENT....I let them ripen in a brown bag and they go from hard to mush so quickly you can't blink, and their still off quality wise.

I guess I better go find a farmers market before the whole season passes.......

Joined May 11, 2001
Calhoun County peaches are definitely some of the most delicious peaches I have ever tasted. There is fortunately a stand every Wednesday and Saturday at the Farmer's Market here in Springfield that sells them. Everyone at my office goes straight to that stand.

Here's a URL to Farmers' Markets in Illinois. I don't know how up-to-date it is, however. Illinois Farmers' Markets

Joined Aug 11, 2000
Chicago has numerous farmers markets.....The Green City Market is on Wed. I think. If you want peaches NOW is the time. Yep the stuff I can get every Sat. is ripe and ready to eat...the smells are sooooo aromatic.
Once you find a great market with tons of local produce you'll then know why I go on the way I do....NOTHING compares to starting with a great product.

Top Bottom