A year? Two? Ten, a hundred?

Discussion in 'The Late Night Cafe (off-topic)' started by teamfat, Mar 7, 2014.

1. teamfat

teamfat

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    In a few weeks I'll be celebrating my 60th birthday.  While still on the grassy green side of the earth I'd like to master one dish from every cuisine on the planet.  How much longer will I need to live in order to do so?

mjb.

2. michaelga

michaelga

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    Well there are a lot of different interpretations and ideas on what makes a cuisine.

You could spend the next ten years arguing about it alone!

I haven't really found a 'perfect' list but this one seems to be a pretty good start.  Maybe start with it and get everyone on the site to add in 'cuisines' under the regions that they know.    For instance - Japan... way more than one cuisine here....

3. brianshaw

brianshaw

Exp:
    Former Chef
    Interesting idea.  First you need to define "cuisine" and then "master".  I suspect that you may need many years to do this... so get started now!

4. michaelga

michaelga

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    Yes...

I forgot to add that I think the idea is brilliant.    The execution I'm still not sure of, even if it were in the thousands I'd still go for it.

As for 'mastered' I'd settle with - a tried and true close interpretation to 'authentic' version of the recipe.  It must be recognizable by the people who regularly cook or eat that particular cuisine. 

I might sound arrogant here... but as long as I have kitchen notes on the recipe/technique and have made and/or tasted it at least three times I'm confident that I can dutifully replicate the recipe; there is no need to make it 100 times or some such thing that tortures many Japanese apprentices.

Overall pretty cool idea.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2014
  5. teamfat

teamfat

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    That's quite the list.  And no doubt it is incomplete.  Just one entry for Japan?  I don't think so.

But the idea could be a good foundation for broadening one's culinary skills.

mjb.

6. kaneohegirlinaz

kaneohegirlinaz

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    @teamfat  why don't you start with a list of dishes that you have already mastered and then work backwards?

6 decades on this great planet have surely given you the opportunity to have done more than you think...

7. teamfat

teamfat

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    When I first posted this, it was intended as somewhat of a rhetorical question.  But I've been thinking about it off and on throughout the day.  I may have a plan that will actually be workable in a finite amount of time, an interesting project.  I'll need a little time to fine tune the details.

mjb.

8. michaelga

michaelga

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    Can't wait for the details.  Even if it wasn't a perfectly complete list there is still merit in it, and who says things can't get added on at a later date.

I've been in a bit of a rut lately and this seems like a great way to get things moving.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2014
  9. kaneohegirlinaz

kaneohegirlinaz

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    ya' know, that's a terrific project

10. pollopicu

pollopicu

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    It's not so much who has the time, but who has the money! That's my biggest challenge. I'm not broke by any means, but exotic ingredients are very expensive, not to mention hard to find depending on the region you live in the USA.

11. teamfat

teamfat

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    I think what I will do is cut back on the scope of the project, and just do a collection of 24 recipes - one from each time zone.

Probably start with my own, Mountain Time, and work my way westward around the globe.  The Pacific Ocean is pretty big, I may have to do some "adjustments" here and there.

Some could be tough choices.  Europe and Africa share about 5 or 6, for example.

But it should be fun.

mjb.

12. michaelga

michaelga

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    Maybe just do 'countries' ... instead of timezones?

I'm still leaning towards the full-monty.