A vanilla bean source

Discussion in 'Pastries & Baking' started by kokopuffs, Jan 29, 2016.

1. fablesable

fablesable

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    Wooohooo This is gonna be fun and very enlightening......I am really looking forward to it!! 

What type of alcohol do you like to use for extract purposes?? I don't know if I have found THE perfect alcohol to use yet so it is always nice to hear what others use if they are extracting. I am also making a glycerin vanilla extract for some friends and family members that cannot have alcohol based extract......we will see how that goes as well /img/vbsmilies/smilies/biggrin.gif  

It is like wine tasting note sharing only with vanilla beans instead......lol

Last edited: Jan 31, 2016
  2. kokopuffs

kokopuffs

Exp:
    Home Cook
    Some everclear mixed with vodka hell I dunno'.  I just throw the beans in the liquor.  It's my first delve into extractives.

fablesable likes this.
  3. kokopuffs

kokopuffs

Exp:
    Home Cook
    Even the Ugandan vanilla beans smell outrageous not even out of the bag broken.  The stuff is outrageous smelling in a fully sealed bag!!!!!

4. kokopuffs

kokopuffs

Exp:
    Home Cook
    The Uganda beans from Beanilla are truly plump and fragrant.  They'll be a joy to use.  I mean PLUMP AND FRAGRANT.  You ain't getting none better and I mean it.  IMHO Uganda is a real culinary surprise......for vanilla beans and I'll back them on this one.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2016
  5. fablesable

fablesable

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    Lol....tell me how you really feel!! I can't wait for mine to arrive /img/vbsmilies/smilies/wink.gif

6. kokopuffs

kokopuffs

Exp:
    Home Cook
    I am still awaiting delivery of the vanilla beans from Amadeus.

7. fablesable

fablesable

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    Yea.....I know my delivery will take a wee bit longer (being in Canada and all). I have a local made Bourbon whiskey and a Jamaican rum waiting their pleasure. You have talked them up a dream and can't wait to see what results from it all. /img/vbsmilies/smilies/biggrin.gif

8. kuan

kuan Moderator Staff Member

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    Sooo... vanilla beans seem to be quite expensive now. Anyone have a cheaper source?