A traditional Christmas dish...

Discussion in 'Recipes' started by bouland, Dec 17, 2002.

1. bouland

bouland

For those looking for doing a tradional Christmas-eve meal, at least if you live in some parts of France, consider a plate of boudin noir, or blood sausage. My article this month details various facts about this sausage, describes how to make it at home, and presents a few recipes for its use.

2. a scottish chef

a scottish chef

It's a very popular dish here in Scotland, along with it's red pudding and white pudding variants.

It's most commonly found formed into a sausage,dipped in batter and deep fried. Whilst this can be good, I much prefer slices from a whole pudding grilled and served with apple wedges sauteed in clarified butter with a little paprika, nutmeg and crushed black pepper along with new potatoes.

Incidentally, a good quality whole black pudding from McKellar's, wieghing about 2Kg, costs around £1.80 here. That's about $2.50?

P.S. I really like your site! A mine of useful information so thanks for that :chef:

3. bumblecook

bumblecook

I could kill for a plate of boudin noir. Just thinking about this makes me homesick :-(

4. bouland

bouland

Make your own. It's easy.

5. plum

plum

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    Boudin noir was one of my favourites when I lived in France. They had it cut into small rounds and served it with wedges of apple which were fried until they were caramelised. Maybe that's when I started to become really interested in food...

I had it last week at Raymond Blanc's brasserie 'Petit Blanc' in Oxford (UK) and they were fantastic, served on celeriac puree with diced, caramelised apple (or celeriac?).