a society of mushrooms?

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by m brown, Nov 2, 2000.

1. m brown

m brown

Exp:
    Professional Pastry Chef
    Is there such a thing? I am green with envy when I read about Schroom girls mushroom capers, cooking and hunting. Sign me up for fungi fun!

2. shroomgirl

shroomgirl

Exp:
    Professional Caterer
    Yep North America Mycological Association
    You have a great chapter in NYC...their kinda skiddish with chefs though....it took my group 3 years before they entrusted me with some of their precious haunts.....mushrooms grow in the same area over and over again, thus there is alot of secrecy (poop spelling again....phontecially guys). Some areas like Napa and Sonoma and SF are big into chef/shroomers/vintners YES
    and if you join I would want to know about your parties. Others are middle of the road with chefs....like them but don't trust that they won't strip the land of shrooms.....most don't understand chefs have little time to hunt....Our state chapter is active. We have a newsletter, a research hut, set hunts, unset hunts, a gourmet sub group AND dues are $15 a year....can you believe it!

3. m brown

m brown

Exp:
    Professional Pastry Chef
    Thanks! You wouldn't happen to have an address? I will do a search on the net too.
    I would be hunting for my own pleasure, not to supply any restaurant.
    [​IMG]

4. m brown

m brown

Exp:
    Professional Pastry Chef
  5. cookm

cookm

Yeah, here in the Bay Area, I know lots of people that go shrooming. I've never gone, tho'. But it sounds interesting. Just had a good rain and everyone started cheering, but no one found anything yet. Apparently, there's some kind of mushroom conference going on this month up at Fort Bragg, I believe.

6. shroomgirl

shroomgirl

Exp:
    Professional Caterer
    There are a couple of people I meet at the National Conference 1999 from SF area, we still stay in contact, they are working on a school program (go figure) with shrooms. I'll be glad to connect you. AIWF has some incredible dinners that feature shrooms in SF too....actually they have incredible dinners (I have an old schedule that looks fantastic some of them pricy but.....)

7. shroomgirl

shroomgirl

Exp:
    Professional Caterer
    NAMA website <http://www.namyco.org>
    Nicko and I are still working on an e-mail address for me if you want to get more info about your NY chapter ask Nicko for my e-mail
    address...(my real one) there are 8 NY chapters.

[This message has been edited by shroomgirl (edited 11-05-2000).]