A red wine question

Discussion in 'Pairing Food and Wine' started by marzoli, Mar 17, 2005.

1. marzoli

marzoli

Can anybody tell me-if I actually have some red wine left in a bottle, should I leave it on the counter with the cork in it or do I have to refrigerate it? :confused:And also--should white wine be refrigerated after opening? I usually chill it, then let it sit out for about 15 minutes, and then serve. Sometimes, I have a bit left--do I refrigerate it again? :crazy:
    None of my wine books mentioned this, so I guess it's one of those things a person is supposed to be born knowing! Like how to change a tire . . .

2. andy m.

andy m.

Regardless of what temperature at which you serve wine, it will keep better in the fridge than at room temperature. With a cork in the wine, it may be good for a day. After that, it will deterioriate.

If you regularly have leftover wine, I recommend you buy a wine pump and a couple of stoppers ($10-$15). They allow you to evacuate much of the air from a wine bottle so it will keep longer - air is wine's enemy in storage.

Keep you white wine on the fridge door, where it will be a little warmer. Also, I wouldn't take a whole bottle out of the fridge, warm it up to serve and then re-chill it. Open a chilled bottle, pour a glass and return the bottle to the fridge. Repeated temperature changes effect the wine.

3. devotay

devotay

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    I have had a lot of good luck at my restaurant with the spray cans of nitrogen for preserving wines.

A couple spritz's of the heavier-than-air nitrogen creates a good seal between the wine and the dreaded oxygen.

4. pinot

pinot

You maybe surprised actually how long opened bottles of wine will last in the fridge. Just last week I found a nice bottle of Chardonnay half full that had been left for 10 days in the fridge of our holiday cottage by some friends. It was still perfect.

Young wines (white and red ) will last alot longer than older wines. But as mentioned they (once opened) will last much longer if sealed and kept in the fridge. Also 1/4 full bottles wont last as long as 1/2 full bottles or 3/4 full bottles .

5. artameates

artameates

Exp:
    Professional Caterer
    i have poured leftovers into a half size wine bottle, it worked well.

6. marzoli

marzoli

Thanks for the help! I tried leaving an opened bottle of red wine on the counter over night--sealed, of course--and it was still really good the next night.
    I asked about this topic when we visited a local winery, and they said to reseal the bottle and it would be fine.
    I'm just learning . . . :D

7. oenotainer

oenotainer

Hey there, just wanted to introduce myself--

I'm not a professional chef, or cook, (but I like to think of myself as a talented amateur!), but I am a wine professional who likes to cook and loves food.

I look forward to lurking in on your converstations and learning things, and if I can answer any questions about wine, and food and wine pairing, let me know!

Oenotainer