A real chef's magazine

Discussion in 'Professional Chefs' started by 100folds, Dec 24, 2005.

1. 100folds

100folds

Does anyone know of any professional magazines for Chefs. Not the hobby cook who doesn't know the difference between a hollandaise and a sabayon. One that focus on our industry and the new ideas coming into it. Let me know, thanks

2. pete

pete Moderator Staff Member

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    There is Art Culinaire. It's a hardcover magazine (book) that comes out a couple times of year. Lots of great ideas, but I find the food to be very "fussy", over manipulated. Though I haven't read it in a long time. My favorite mag. is Food Arts. Not tons of recipes, but lots of great articles about trends in food and drink, and a lot of spotlights on seasonal cooking, etc.

3. cape chef

cape chef

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    I second Pete's recommendation.

4. ma facon

ma facon

Exp:
    Professional Chef
  5. danbrown

danbrown

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    There are another two trades in addition that I like...Plate magazine, and Chef's, both of which are available free to working chefs and easy enough to find on the internet with a search.

6. plongeur

plongeur

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    In the UK it's Restaurant magazine; in France, l'Hotellerie.

7. 100folds

100folds

Thanks guys, I've ordered the food art and hopefully it is what I am looking for. Incidently, I have found a book on the history of food and I think it is a must read! It's called Food, A culinary history. Check it out. Just doing a tit for tat. Thank you again.

8. suzanne

suzanne

Exp:
    Food Editor
    Another possibility, also free to the trade, is Santé. http://www.santemagazine.comIt is totally geared to the restaurant professional, and has a good deal of space devoted to the bar and wine as well as FOH and BOH management issues.

9. campchef

campchef

Exp:
    Culinary Instructor
    I heartily agree on the reccomendations for Food Arts and Sante. The other one I read is National Culinary Review, the mag of the ACF. With these three, I keep up to date on all aspects of the industry.